This Disappears When Logged In

Why Do People Keep Snakes As Pets?

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The article was good minus the guy saying he likes being able to control something that doesn't want to be controlled. He sounds like he may need some counseling. lol

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

A breath of fresh air !!!!

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Rich, I was thinking the same exact thing, lol!

I also liked the fact that he has the signs stating that they live there. I have 4 of those throughout the outside of my home. They are small, but hanging on the door to let everyone be aware that they are in my home, that also gives them the choice to not enter if they have a fear of snakes. Mine just has a picture of a boa that states " Be Aware, I live here".

5. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I agree on the 'control' issue. Is he a 'bully' in disguise? The article could have also been written a little better. It reads like a high school senior's entrance into journalism.

6. scynful

scynful Active Member

to bad in some states it's illegal to have any snake at all. Such a shame really.. Just like pit bulls and rotts... just have a bad rep behind them, nothing more.

7. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I also found that "control" comment a little off, but that article over all was great that it put snakes in a positive light for once. Oh, and I also noticed that it was talking about men owning snakes. Women own them too! I love my snake :D

8. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah that was pretty cool man. This is the kind of attention we need!! Not all that hype of, "oh snake bad" mess. I 5th the control thing. The look in his eyes was kind of crazed too. lol

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Love the article- I too did not care for the control issue.

Take heart Orca- I think the only reason they said men was because no women were interviewed. I for one really enjoy knowing all of the women here who love snakes and other creepy crawlies, it shoots down all of the protestation of people when I show my snakes at the community college. Keep on truckin' girl!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Nifty article.

I'd have to say my reasons are many - I think they number among some of the most beautifully engineered creatures out there, while looking the simplest. To me, they are just a marvel. It's almost hypnotic when I handle them, I can never just do it briefly, not with mine. I guess you could say it's an addiction. Maybe snakes trigger an endorphin release in my brain or something.

11. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I do love my snakes :D I will just sit and play with the feeder roaches too. I also love that a coworker of mine looks like your stereotypical cheerleader and will walk around with her 8' red tail around her whole body.

I'm with you. I'm mesmerized by them and love the feel of their movements when I hold them.

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Now the second part I can agree with... I love the feel of the snake slithering and the weight of them. They really are mesmerizing when you watch them move around. I just can't own one - but I can enjoy them for short periods at the shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.