This Disappears When Logged In

Why are petshops so expencive ?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by aiden_punx, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

I went into the local petshop today and they was selling two leopard geckos. At 156 euros each thats 163.76 dollars how do the bigger shops manage to sell animals for that price they was all regular morphs aswell.

2. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

mostly overhead. Employees, the building, bills, etc it all costs money, money that is passed on to the consumer.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep: all the costs AND because some people will pay those prices!

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Elite Member

overhead and location.
    here in new york the pet stores in the more affluent areas are more pricey that the dingy ones in the undesirable towns.
    here in east hampton a toy is 5 bucks opposed to up island wheres it's 3.
    doesn't life suck, so unethical............

5. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

yeah but people in the hamptons can afford it and tend to make more money anyway. I make just a hair under $9 an hour and I'm by far the largest breadwinner in my household. I also have the most bills, but still manage to get by, where if someone made my money in Frisco they could barely make rent, let alone food, car, gas, insurance, etc.

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yes, overheads are costs that need to be added to the price of animals sold in the shops but... HA! Well, they price them at these ridiculous figures because they want to make a quick big buck and because some people, believe it or not, will pay them!!

Our friend's shop over here is quite decently priced - plus we usually get discount as we are pals:p - but he will make a profit on what he sells. A lot are babies that he has bred for example, and other animals have been given to or sold to him for a small price where he then marks them up to a reasonable but larger price. It's all in the name of business.

Then again... our closest reptile shop really knows nothing about what it sells (yes, sadly another one of those shops!) and marks some species at hefty prices, hence why some have been there for a long time - there are two beautiful aussie WDs, which, if we had space, would live with us!, but they are way over-priced and as a result have been in the shop for at least a year and a half! - Shame of course, as they are not in the best conditions, but they are not in the worst either, if that is some saving grace.

7. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

yeah when i lived in england the shops i went to. was priced ok but here they are just silly 300euros for adult beardies 200 for adult basc 250 for juvi tegu 255 for yearling rtb makes you want to cry..

8. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

its also convience and lack of knowledge.
    pc shops like compusa sell stuff for sometimes twice as much as you can get it online at places like pricewatch.com. but people don't know about it or don't trust the online place so they shop at the expensive store. or they think shipping costs will make it cost more to buy online so don't bother looking.

it could also be more convienent.
    when i worked at an ACME, it was the only store in the small town. the place was a crap hole, but the company owned the building and land so would only profit from it. most of the customers walked thier and thier were daily complaints about its condition and prices. several times a week i heard 'i'm never coming here again' then the next week they'd be back. the nearest compitition was a much cheaper Clemans that was 15 miles away.

people shopped at the acme because they coulden't get to the cheaper place, or because it was closer.

both of the above examples could probably be said for pet stores as well.

9. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

aiden_punx,

You need to move over to the U.S.A.! We do not pay anywhere near that!

LOL, Steve

10. Joe

Joe Elite Member

If that is a true red tail ie B.c.c I would bite his hand off for it, hatchling B.c.c can be around the 250 GBP here in England......but I'm guessing its another example of someone calling a B.c.i a red tail when its not....

There is the saying, something is only worth what someone will pay.....and people are willing to pay higher prices....I think more things should be priced higher it would stop people buying things for novelty value.

I'm also of the mentality that says if you don't want to pay what someone is asking for an animal you have to ask yourself do I actually really want this animal? If the answer is yes then price shouldn't matter....

Just my 2 pennies worth

11. willow

willow Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello,

Convienience plays a large role as people have stated already. It's a matter of supply and demand. If you have a town that is 150 sq. miles and it contains one petstore in the towns center, you are likely going to have to pay a hefty price for whatever it is you are looking for. If you live in a town where there are 7 petshops, you will likely find lower prices.

In America, we have considerably cheaper prices on reptiles. The reasoning is simple, we also have a lot more petstores.

The US is made up of 50 states.(As everyone knew. lol) Petco alone has over 740 locations. That means that Petco alone has roughly 14.8 stores in each state. It's largest competitor, Petsmart, has roughly 800 stores between the US and Canada. That's another 16 stores per state. Between just those 2 retailers, each state contains roughly 30.8 petstores. These are rough figures and don't include any of the smaller stores and private chains that individual states contain. (Which could easily double these figures.)

The availability of these stores and their abundance have dropped all of the prices considerably.

12. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Being in retail I can answer why they are so expensive really easily---people will pay the price. It's really the law of supply and demand. I work in printing and office supplies so my example is along those lines: When I was in college carbon paper was still plentiful but demand had fallen so it was cheap. Most manufactures stopped producing it so supply dwindled. Now carbon paper is selling at over $3 for just 12 sheets at normal retail price. There may not be a lot of demand, but there is almost no supply so the selling price goes up. Pet ownership is growing in all areas sometimes faster that they can get animals so priced are rising.

13. Jaded

Jaded Member

You have to take into account the cost of electricity. Heating a small reptile room with lights and all that is quite expensive. I work at a pet store at the moment and I know how much it costs. Plus shipping live animals isn't cheap. We go through two suppliers for most of our reptiles and mark up is usually about 100%. When I first heard we marked our reptiles up that much I thought it was outragious, but then I figured into it the cost of food, supstrate, man power, electricity, mortality, etc.

We have an adult blue tongue skink selling for about $125-150, can't remember off the top of my head, for about two months now. Before that we had for a month, same price, and we had two babies, same price, the first adult went relatively fast, wasn't there more then a month and a half. The two babies, thanks to some of the dumb asses we have working there, were eaten by crickets, who thought two babies in a 15 gallon with nowhere to hide couldn't eat 30+ large crickets. Now due to those two losses the store is down x amount of money, if the adult blue tongue we have now doesn't sell within another month or two it'll be a loss as well.

Hope you take that into account next time you go into a pet shop and see an expensive reptile that you could get for less online. (I've found, at least with us, once you put in shipping and handling the animals cost about the same plus you can actually pick out your reptile.)

14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

IMO, buying a reptile thats marked up 100% in a petstore that DOSNT CARE FOR THE ANIMAL PROPERLY is just stupid. Who wants to pay more money for a sick animal when they can get one from a breeder online for less then half of that, and they know its healthy

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree! However in all fairness there are some seriously unscrupulous breeders on line (and even at expos). You have to just take them at their word that the animal is healthy or for that matter that they are even a breeder!
    I have been to expos where the animals were all proclaimed captive bred but anyone with half an eye can see that they are wild caught imports.

16. Jaded

Jaded Member

Have you ever had a friend, that really isn't into reptiles, take care of your reptiles while you were on vacation or something like that? Then ya come back and they've done something stupid, hopefully not costing the life of your herp, but something that potentially could have? Its not really your friend's fault, they just don't really know what the're doin.

Well its like that sometimes. They don't mean to hurt the animals, they just don't know any better.

And we are entirely at the mercy of our suppliers. Luckily we have a guy who works for us who will take the poor animals home and try to rehab them.

But then again, sometimes, we get in great specimens. We've gotten circle back RTBs before, pastel RTBs, etc.

We have our ups and downs.

17. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

"They don't mean to hurt the animals, they just don't know any better."
    ...yet most petshop employees ACT like they know EVERYTHING about the reptiles and assume the customer doesen't when the customer points out thier doing something wrong.

thus bring us back to the 'they don't really care for the reptiles statement'

otherwords, they'd listen to the customers, do research, and fix the problems.

its not a matter of wether or not they know at all really, because they could learn. its obvious they don't want to learn, as they keep making mistakes. chances are that the pet shop worker only took the job since he needed to make money. he doesen't want to waste his time doing research or anything, he actually doesen't care about the reptiles much, he's only thier to make money by reluctantly doing a job.

glad to hear you have an employee who actually cares for the reptiles though. people who actually care for thier job and work hard are so hard to find. i'm the manager of a local grocery store's dairy department and only have 1 good employee. the other 3 are slow as molasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.