This Disappears When Logged In

Who Likes Alligator Snapping Turtles?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by G8ERMAN, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

[​IMG]

This is Stumppy, I cant remember how old she is but she was found in Big Ails pound with no back feet and her shell has bite holes we think are from Big Ail.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

oh, poor thing, it's a good thing they are so tough!

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

No kidding you'd have to be tough to survive something like that,lol.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's one big turtle. And this should be a GREAT example for people who think they can keep them as indoor pets!

5. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

Yeah they are illegal to own because they are supposed to be an endangered species. But I dont see how they could get a count on something that spends 90 to 95% of it's life under water. We found a loop hole, if found on your property it can stay on the property. We have another about 25 pounds larger.

Couya

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Reminds me when I was 10 and found a snapping turtle on my way home. It was the size of a dinner plate. Brought it to my father and asked can I keep it?
    The look of horror to this day makes me laugh so hard I cry. LOL

7. G8ERMAN

G8ERMAN Elite Member

LOL, Was it an Alligator Snapping Turtle? Scutes on the tail and three high ridges on their back?

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I highly doubt that I live in Wisconsin,lol.
    I just remember high tailing it back home getting a huge bucket and riding back home just in time for my dad to pull up.
    It didn't hiss until my dad looked at it,lmao.:p

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

i saved a snapper from off the road one time i was scared of it i managed to pull it into a shovel and move it though! i couldnt leave something so slow on the road and when they get scared they stand guard or attack before running. He was maybe 18 inches across and HEAVY

10. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

just curious, who is Big ail? is he the larger snapper?

11. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

There's one with a shell the size of a car tire in the river behind my house. My dad told me it's been there since he was a kid. It used to come up every fall and eat apples till our trees got flooded out.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

14 foot crocodile.

13. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

I believe Big Ail is a gator.
    I know in WI we have some kind of snapper, but not what it is. My grandparents owned the land around a lake up north and they had a GIANT snapper. I'd say that one was about truck tire size. Scared me half to death. That lake was stuffed with large aquatics. We once caught an 11 in Bluegill!

14. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

Ah, croc, I posted at the same time you did, and I wasn't sure, lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.