This Disappears When Logged In

White's Tree Frog and Paludariums

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by geckoguy14, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

hi guys,

Just thinking about turning my white's tree frog's new exo-terra habitat into a sort of paludarium. I had to throw out all of the coco-fiber i was using as substrate today because as it turns out, fruit flies have been using it as a breeding hot-spot. So my creative wheels started turning and i was wondering if there are any disadvantages for my white's being in such a high-humidity environment.

I want to have a base layer of large river rocks with about 2.5 inches of water over that with a few large, flat rocks and his usual climbing logs and branches. Then, the exo-terra habitat has a feature (of which im sure you all are familiar with) where tubes can be run behind the foam background to the top...where i plan to have a waterfall feature.

What do i need to watch out for? I was under the impression that white's live in seasonal billabongs in their native australia and therefore should be used to wet habitats. Any thought/comments/suggestions/complaints???

Thanks!

-Adam

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You really don't want something so high humidity for them. You want to aim for 70%. Anything higher can lead to upper respiratory infections. They can take wet habitats, but not on a constant basis.

If you could do it and get the humidity where it should be, then its not problem, so you might have to add some ventilation.

3. betterzack

betterzack Active Member

You could definitely do it. I have my whites in a thirty gallon high plaudarium. I have one huge branch that comes out of the water and they love the tank! I also have the exo-terra background waterfall feature. My frogs are very happy and I'm sure yours will be too! :)

4. schlegelbagel

What is your humidity though? And you only have one branch? Can you post pics?

5. betterzack

betterzack Active Member

Pics coming soon, can't find my camera. I don't have just one branch. I have this huge tree like thing and a super long vine that weaves through everything in the tank. Humidity is eighty percent because I have a screen top for extra humidity to escape. I'll get pics soon.

6. schlegelbagel

80% is a bit on the high side. I would see what you could do about dropping it 10%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.