This Disappears When Logged In

White Proso Millet As Substrate??

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by kiraturmc, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

OK... I know this is a round seed that birds eat and is one of the staples of most wild bird seed, and I actually eat millet often - it's sort of like rice.

Is it ok to use for a substrate for a leo gecko? Here is the site where I found it:
    White Proso Millet

I don't believe everything I read on the manufacturer's statements, but didn't see it listed here with opinions, so I thought I'd ask. Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks...

-kir

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I've seen a lot of herps on this stuff in the pet stores. Personally I wouldn't use it just because ANY particulate substrate has the potential for causing impaction (but I'm no expert, just cautious;))

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I wouldn't want to use it if for no other reason that the fact that it would be difficult to keep clean and you would possibly also have mold issues arise.

4. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Steve and Shell - thanks... both good points.

OK... still trying to figure that whole substrate question out, but I think I'm getting closer. Thanks again!!

-kir

5. fire2225ems

I personally would just grab a couple of vinyl tiles. Easy to clean, non-particulate, no worries about anything getting under it, and can be really pretty

6. fire2225ems

I know you saw what all I did with my crestie tank, but I don't know if you saw it before I added the background. I actually used the vinyl tiles to help keep any moisture from getting to the wood where I wasn't covering it with greatstuff. When I had first put the tiles in, I REALLY liked the effect. If I had been doing a tank for something less of a climber than skif I probably would have kept it as so..
    [​IMG]

7. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Shell - that looks really nice. I just was trying to figure out something that would let them dig safely as they do in their native world. I know Nate, Merlin and a couple others have had luck with a loam/sand mix... maybe I'll go that route. I guess I just have to figure that out. Not sure how yet though.

Thanks again!

-kir

8. fire2225ems

Leos aren't really known for digging. They come from an area that has hard packed earth. In fact their feet aren't "designed" to be able to walk well on a loose substrate.

9. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Hmmm... I stand corrected. I thought I'd read a few posts somewhere in my travels here, maybe from Merlin, Kriminal, Liz or Nate that said they did burrow somewhat. Can't for the life of me remember where just now - I've been living on this site for the last week or so. Alrighty then... thanks... :)

-kir

10. fire2225ems

Leos no, maybe uros or monitors.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wasn't me!
    I use no particulate substrate, just paper.

And while leos will use burrows and crevices that are already pre-existing, they really aren't built for digging their own.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Wasn't me either. You probably were referring to substrate for Uros.

I too (if I had leos) would keep them on paper towel or vinyl tiles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.