This Disappears When Logged In

White Mouth In Sick Ball Python Question

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Oct 2, 2015.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

So, ran into something im not familiar with and i have a question. Fang, my 20+ year old sweetheart ball python has been on baytril for an respiratory infection. He has about 3 shots left maybe....

I noticed tonight while straightening up that he still has his head in the air to help him breathe easier. There is no more bubbles, mucus, clicking, etc. So he is on the mend I think.

My question is this, at the same time I seen him with his mouth open, breathing halfway normal, his mouth is not a healthy pink. At all. It is almost white with a tad tiny pink tint. It isn't mouth rot, but I'm worried because of his age. I've always heard that snakes should have a healthy pink tint to thier mouths. Is there any merit to this? I am going to call the vet back in the morning to give the update, so I'll ask her also, but wanted to run it it by you all also.

Could it be drying a bit from where he has kept his mouth open? Or stress from the shots? Or am I just dreaming stuff up because I know he doesn't have another 20+ years in him? Lol

As always, thank you guys for your help!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, you got me, I havent had or heard of this issue. I think there is a lot of variability in the shading of the inside of their mouths, but I have to admit I've never really paid that much attention to it. I will now, thanks a lot, lol. Got me wanting to get them all to say ahhh....

ferasaeva and TJOHNSON722 like this.
  3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

He is still at it. The worst part is, I have no idea if he is doing normal behavior, or abnormal behavior. He never hides though, but he is in a quiet part of the house so maybe he doesn't feel the need to. I have never seen him in his hides.

With the mouth, that's just what I've always heard. I've never paid attention either though.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

He'll hide if he wants to. I've had some that would just hang out, but mine have been few and far between when they have a choice.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I think checking with the vet is the best thing to do. Let us know. Maybe the white mouth is due to the Baytril treatment.

TJOHNSON722 and ferasaeva like this.
  6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

So what happened with this one?