This Disappears When Logged In

White Film

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by millerpj, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Went into school today and Mustache has a white, dusty film on him. He's been in his water more since he shed and I wonder if it is something in the water or dust from the remodeling that is going on. I tried to dust him off and some of it comes off but most of it seems to be dried to him. I've bought some distilled water to replace his tap water when I go back to school and hope this helps. Any other suggestions?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never seen a white dusty film on a snake that will come off.
    Is there a similar dust on the surface of the area around the tank?

3. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Not outside the tank. There is above the water line of his bowl and where he rubs the edge of his tank. This is why I think it might be water related. He never had it before he started soaking himself.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I've noticed a film whenever I do not use repti-clean. That tells me it is something in the water.

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

it is a strong chlorine content in your water source. Water evaporates but leaves behind chlorine residue...use pure water and not your tap water if this is the case!!

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

yeah I agree its probably the water, our water where I live has a lot of minerals and such thats why I use brita water for my pets and us.

7. Merlin

WOW! And I thought WE had hard water!

8. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Thanks, I've got 2 gallon of distilled to take in with me. Now I know why I never drink the water at school. :)

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha cool. Let us know if it works!

10. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

That is the same stuff that our water has in it, it is typically actually chloramine that leaves the worst residue

11. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Using distilled water - no more film!

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

ok i just wanted to add a question of my own to this instead of beginning another thread about the same exact thing. I have never expierenced any problems like millerpj has described, we do have hard water, but it's doesnt leave any white residue, but the typical hard water stains on the mirror in the bathroom and the sink and bathtub fixtures, should i go ahead and just use bottled water or even distilled water? And if so, which would actually be better for my snakes? The distilled or will ordinary bottled water do just fine? I have both, i accidently bought some distilled thinking it was a gallon of spring water and just too lazy to take it back. I have a PUR filter on the kitchen sink, but i actually have to replace the filter on it, so i bought a gallon of spring and distiled (thinking it was spring) untill payday this upcoming friday.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i would suggest spring water over distilled. Distilled takes out everything, there are still some minerals in spring water, something that could be beneficial to the animal. I know with frogs we are told to use spring and not distilled. Just a thought.

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Bottled water, filtered/ purified water, or treated water will be fine, but I wouldn't use distilled. The process of distilling leaves a very unnatural result that is devoid of any minerals or substance. Though distilled water is much more dangerous for amphibians than it is for reptiles, I'd still stick to other alternatives.

15. Merlin

True distilled water is basical empty of minerals. If you try to use it for fish or amphibians whose skins are is permeable, the lack of mineral salts in the water will result in it literally leaching minerals out of the bodies of your animals.

16. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I will switch to spring or I'm trying to find a parent who has better water than the schools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.