This Disappears When Logged In

Which Subspecies?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by bobberly1, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

I love how Boa constrictors look and act, but I simply can't house and feed an adult colombian boa. I've been looking at Hog islands and Hondurans but the prior has a muddled coloration, and the later is hard to find. Can anyone suggest a subspecies with the traditional pattern that is roughly the size of a ball python and therefore won't need excessively sized food and caging:confused:

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Unfortunately if you want to keep a small size boa, a Hoggs is your best bet. I have a Hoggs/Columbian cross breed that's 6 years old and only 4 feet. I also have a Peruvian Red Tail that's 3 years old that's pushing 6 feet. Common boas will not be as large, TRUE redtails are larger and more full bodied. Your chances of finding ANY boa to stay the same size as a Ball Python are basically ZERO, unless it's a PURE Hoggs Island, which are rarer today than most realize. Best of luck.

3. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Thanks. I'm so angry because i remember seeing a whole table of hog islands at the Manchester show and I can barely find any online.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I suggest you wait until you can get to the next show. Where are you located ? I might be able to hook you up with a breeder close to you.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The only two locals that I know of that are normally always under 6' are the El Salvador BCI and Tarahumara Mexican BCI. Both locals are priced about the same as Hogs. Other than those two, any boa from the constrictor group is out. Lots of other species of boas are smaller; you may want to look in to them.

6. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Thanks, I'm in Massachusetts. Also, couldn't something a little longer than a ball python take the same prey since it's less stubby?

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

With any boa constrictor your going to end up at least feeding rats. They are a bit more heavy bodied than Ball pythons. I'm unsure about other constrictor locals but colombians normally take med. rats at about one year of age. While my ball pythons are still normally taking 2 adult mice per feeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.