This Disappears When Logged In

Which Snake is for Me?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by CarrrriieeAnn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

I need some help on deciding what kind of snake is just right for me...
    I currently only have a Columbian Rainbow Boa, along with 16 other reptiles.

I LOVE the look of Blood Pythons... but are they as docile and well-handled as ball pythons are??
    I think ball pythons are sweet... but I'm not a huge fan of them always being in a "ball", lol.
    I've been struck before by my Rainbow boa and yes, I understand anything with a mouth can bite... but I want a snake that is known for rarely striking...
    I hope my wording didn't sound stupid... I am not new to reptiles... just pretty new to snakes.
    Any help would be awesome :) Thanks.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That leaves out boas, pythons, Burms, retics. Maybe corn snakes??

Blood pythons are not known for being docile.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I think you should hold off on getting more herps till you have your monitor housed properly. :)

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Agreed. You should never add more until you have the first 16 housed properly. I know how addicting it can be, however, all your doing is wasting time and money along with stressing and perhaps killing your animals. I would have wrote this sooner, but I didn't see the monitor post until after.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey and welcome to the site! Your profile says that you are 22 years old, so take your time. There is no rush here. The animals that you are talking about can all live from 15-30 yrs. While a few baby snakes might be fun and easy now, think down the line. All the times you will be moving or going to other colleges etc... It is a big responsibilty taking ownership of another life. I am not trying to infer that you are not ready for this responsibility or that you did not think this through, I just want to point out that Savannah Monitors are one of the more involved and consuming animals to keep. Keeping this little guy healthy and growing the right way will take alot of your time and attention. Aja is pointing this out to you, because she is constantly working with her lizard and has experienced the time it takes to plan out and provide a balanced diet, maintain a proper enclosure, and even dig around looking for eggs (more recently.) Get this little guy up and running, and then worry about adding another reptile to the collection.

6. Crossbonecorns

Crossbonecorns Active Member

To answer your question, a common boa would be a good snake. As would a sand boa, corn, ball (they will learn to relax and not ball all the time), and many others. Bloods can be nippy, but that is more a reputation than a rule. They are very awkward to handle those cause of their extreme shape. The other posters here are right, fix other issues befor you add.

7. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

Just wondering why you people are so rude? I work for a Reptile Rescue and Rehab center and I have 16 other healthy reptiles. I have been around reptiles my whole life. Who cares how old I am. Age is just a number. I am a mom of a perfectly happy and healthy 5 year old little girl. I have plenty of time and money to take care of these animals. You people are rediculous. I saw a 17 year old boy on this site last night with 40 reptiles, yet you guys were complelety nice to him. What about the people on this site I saw posting about having their monitors in 40 gallon tanks? You weren't nearly as rude to him as you were to me. There is a difference in giving friendly, correct advice... and rudely telling people what they're doing is wrong. Who are you to say what I am doing is wrong? Can you speak to reptiles? Are you a genius? NO! ... Expecially you Aja. You seem like a complete *****. Why don't you hold off on your reptiles and work on your people skills :) Screw this website. I go to every reptile show up and down the east coast and I am on numerous other forums and I have NEVER encountered people like the ones in this forum.

8. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

And for the record, I was not going to go out TONIGHT and buy a snake. I was asking for FUTURE reference. And also... you can't build an 8 foot long enclosure in one day! It takes time... and the monitor is only 9-10 inches long. He's not going to be 4 feet long in a week! So you people can calm down :)

And, Diehardislanders : I already attended college for 2 years and graduated. I will not be moving at all. My boyfriend, my daughter, and myself have a permanent residence with plenty of space.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hello, it's unfortunate that you feel that way.

I'm just trying to help you, there's no need for you to become defensive.

I posted that friendly remark about the sav on this thread in case you didn't check the other.

Your sav is housed improperly and if you don't start making changes now I can guarantee that he won't live to be four feet.

However, you of course are obviously going to do whatever you want. If you would like help, it's available.

10. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

Yes, I am here for help... Though you are clearly rude about it. I have come across 2 nice people on this site... The rest of you, especially you, Aja, MAY be TRYING to help... But you are going about it the wrong way. You can help people while being nice about it. You obviously don't know how to do that.

11. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

CarrrriieeAnn, I am sorry if you feel like we were being rude to you, that definately was not my intention, and I do not feel that was the motive behind some of the other user's comments. The "monitor group" can be a little short sometimes, I went through it, the same way eveyone on here with a new monitor goes through it. They absolutely 100% do have the animals interest at heart and that is something you should understand. You are new here, so you do not see the constant stream of new monitor owners coming on with questions regarding improper set-ups, generally the same few misconceptions. People like Murrindindi do not have to respond the same questions over and over again, but they do (I do not think that guy misses one monitor thread) and I am very grateful for that. I came here like most people, completely mis-informed and blatantly lied to in some instances about how to house my savannah monitor. I read the book "The Savannah Monitor Lizard" by Daniel Bennet (the only guy to actually study them in the wild) and came on this forum with my questions. Not only did I find monitor owners with considerable experience, but even the author was on here weighing in on the discussions and answering questions. All of this to say, herpcenter is a good source for information, and although people get short sometimes, they do mean well as indicated by their willingness to walk anyone who is willing through caring for their reptiles.
    And for the record, I understand you feeling attacked and feeling defensive, but I am barely older than you are, and have about 32 college credits, and live in a small second floor apartment that I am trying to move out of- possibly across the country- so I was in no way giving you a hard time about the way you live.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yes, we may get short. That is mainly because we answer the exact same questions everyday. I like most, work 50+ hours a week. Along with running a house, taking care of 2 children under 4, one of whom is partially deaf, along with taking care of animals, doctors appointments for my daughter, speech therapy, etc. I don't have time to hold every new members hand. However, I will give honest, experienced answers. Like most other members.

You have to understand, we do have lives. If we did hold peoples hand we wouldn't have time for anything else.

13. justor

justor Elite Member

Honestly I don't see how anyone is being rude to you. Some of the answers you received might not have been what you expected to get, but they were not hostile or insulting. Sometimes it's hard to sugar-coat things, and sometimes doing so will prevent the message from getting across especially if it's regarding an urgent issue. I hope you understand that nobody is picking on you, and we don't want to drive you away. Just don't expect husbandry discussions to be filled with smiley faces and giggles I guess is what I'm trying to say. The point of those discussions is to ensure our animals live and thrive, and sometimes being able to get a point across can mean the difference between life and death.

I hope you will stay with us on the forum and continue to learn. Perhaps then you can provide information to newcomers in a way that you think would be more effective. ;)

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi, everyone is really not as bad as it may seem and I'm sure they were sincerely trying to help. It's not so bad here, give a chance and you'll see people here are more then willing to help with herp questions.

As for snakes I would say that Ball pythons are just about the most docile and smaller snakes to have. Males wont get big and most have a great attitude. If you're getting into snakes look into it at little more. Though they do like to hide a little more, once they're acclimated to their new homes you can always take them out without any issues. They also have so many different morphs that I'm sure you can find one you just can't walk away from. Boas believe it or not also have a reputation for being fairly docile. They do get a lot bigger but if handled often the'll be okay. Just check their temperment before any purchases. Remember though that any snake around feeding times with smelling their food will strike at anything that gets close. As long as you have respect for them and are aware of their behaviour, I'd say almost any snake can be handled.

15. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

You don't have time to hold every new members hand? Though you had time to post on my thread numerous times... including this one? Ok.
    And it's because you answer the exact same questions everyday? Ok, then just DON'T respond.

16. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

And for the people that said they didn't see anyone in here being rude or anything... It's the people that said things like: "I think you should hold off on getting more herps till you have your monitor housed properly." Or "The other posters here are right, fix other issues befor you add." Or "You should never add more until you have the first 16 housed properly." <--- That one made me highly upset, because like I said before... I WORK at Reptile Resuce and Rehab center, I have had reptiles my whole life, I have a happy and healthy 5 year old daughter, and my other 16 reptiles are ALL housed properly, so that highly offends me. I have never had an ill animal, ever... and I have yet to have an animal die on me... I did however rescue a beared dragon from an owner that had MBD. It was horribly sad and really upset me. After I spent $200 on him at an exotic vet, I had to hand syringe feed him calcium and food everyday for awhile! I also rescued 4 insanely unhealthy crested geckos from a guy who had them all housed together (males and females, all different sizes), in a 10 gallon tank, with nothing to eat but crested gecko diet in the powder form, NOT even mixed with water like it's supossed to be! It took awhile but I got all those guys 100% healthy as well. So I took that comment very offensively. My 16 reptiles are 100% healthy and have GREAT enclosures. My boyfriend and I hand built majority of our crested geckos enclosures ourselves. And like I also previously stated, I was not planning on getting a snake TODAY. I was just asking for future reference. People should not have jumped to conclusions and been "snappy" towards me. IF they felt the need to comment, they should have just nicely gave me their input on blood pythons and ball pythons and that is it. Nothing more.

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Now who's being rude??? I have an application on my phone for herpcenter. Also, my children were with my mother so I had free time before I came to work. Just because we don't tell you what you wanted to hear. I'm done responding to your bad attitude because I am better than that. Have a great day and good luck.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok lets just STAND DOWN!

Carrie Ann, nobody was being rude to you, just voicing their opinions and it was you who got defensive and rude. Go back and look at your own posts.
    NOW.
    Look at it from our side of the screen! You have a monitor that is not in correct housing, yet you ask about getting another animal. Nothing was said about it being a sometime in the future aquisition. For all we know you aquired all of your animals in the past month and are **** bent on getting more.
    Do you have any idea how many people we deal with who get bitten by the herping bug and go nuts aquiring animals that they are not able to deal with. I'm not saying you are but let's assume for the sake of argument. You have to realize that you are new here and we know nothing about you.
    We would go out of our way to get that person to slow down, both for the sake of the animals as well as trying to prevent someone from having a bad experience that causes them to abandon the hobby. You say you help out at a rescue? Then you have seen first hand the sort of thing I am talking about.

And you are right. It isn't about age but rather the ability and willingness to provide for the animals you house. Take a breath and think about how this all got started off.

19. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Jesus, everyone calm down..... OK, so there is a bit perceived rudeness on both ends, regardless of what the intent of the posts was. calm down and listen to each other. fighting will not get you anywhere.

20. CarrrriieeAnn

CarrrriieeAnn Member

I have been on numerous other reptile forums for a while now. I am new to this one, yes, because I had no idea this one existed. Nobody I know uses this one... but you people are 10x worse than anyone else I've encountered. I will not post here anymore :) So you guys can keep acting like you know everything under the sun. I feel bad for anyone else who signs up for this site.. they are in for a treat :)