This Disappears When Logged In

Which Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by SamTheMediocre, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Hi everyone. I'm looking at getting a carpet python and want to know what subspecies you think is best for me. I have access to a 50 gallon tank that I'm getting for free. I have an additional $150 to spend. I can't have a coastal because of spacial restrictions. I have a lot of experience doing volunteer work with snakes, but have never owned one. I don't mind getting bit by nippy little ones. That's about it. I would also love general advice about carpets. Is there anything that you guys have learned from experience that I might not find elsewhere? Thanks for your time and responses.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

From what I've seen $150 likely won't be enough. That's more of a ball python price.
    At least in my area that is.
    I love the Jaguars though. Absolutely stunning, although definitely more than $150 again.

3. I don't know. If I get a normal colored animal, scavenge up a few heat lamps or an under the tank heater, and I've got a couple hides and some drift wood from my aunt's iguana's cage. All I really need is a good water dish the snake and a couple of temperature and humidity gauges. Not to mention the holidays are coming up and nothing says holiday cheer quite like a couple of dead presidents to weigh down your wallet.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Depends on what your looking at. A normal 100% Irian Jaya is usually under 100 dollars. Non morph intergrades (usually jag sibs) are cheaper than that. Personally I really dislike all intergrades, tho I certainly understand why they are bred. If your purely looking for an affordable price on a pet grade animal an intergrade isn't a bad choice, but a 100% jaya or 100% jungle would be a lot prettier. Bredli's are an option at that price as well. If I were you I'd go for a non morph jungle or bredli. Jayas are cool (i have one), but I like the size and colors on the other subspecies better. IF the Jags strike your fancy make sure you buy fron a breeder you trust. There is a neurological condition associated with the Jag morph that in severe cases requires euthanasia due to lack of motor control. Basically in bad cases they can't control what their body is doing. Granted many jags have no issues at all, but just be careful when shopping for that morph.

The biggest single piece of advice I can give you is to try and get your carpet eating rats from day one. It varies a bit by subspecies and individuals, but a lot of carpets can be extremely difficult to go from mice to rats. From what I've experienced and gathered, jayas can be nearly impossible in some cases, jungles are pretty stubborn but not as bad, coastals and bredlis are pretty easy.

Other then that carpets are very easy to care for. They're not as humidity dependant as a lot of other snakes (I usually mist once a week, upping to once a day during shed and never have problems) and have a fantastic feeding response. The more perches and climbing space you offer a carpet the cooler they are to observe. They are also a lot of fun to handle as they are very active outside the cage, they love moving around and exploring.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Must be more breeders in US to get prices that low.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you get an under tank heater you will need a thermostat which can be bought off of amazon for like $30. For a thermometer/hygrometer you need to get a digital unit and you can pick one up from walmart for $12.
    Now is the 55 gal going to be his permanent home or would you be looking to upgrade him to something larger later?

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Its interesting. Pretty much every bloodline available in the US is of European origin, but it does seem like we have a lot more availability here as well as lower prices.

8. I would like to keep him in the 55 gal as long as possible, but if he seems cramped or I find/build a larger enclosure for a good price, I would move him/her.

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well it would probably be closer to $50-60 bucks since you will probably need to replace the flimsy back with some solid plywood but it is definitely doable.