This Disappears When Logged In

Which Reptile Should I Get? (First Time)

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by KittiesRus1, Jun 23, 2014.

1. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

So I want a reptile. I've been researching for some time now and have no idea what to get. I was thinking about these (in order from most interested in to not so much)

•Berber Schneider skink
    •Russian tortoise\ Greek tortoise
    •Leopard Gecko
    •Crested Gecko
    •Garter Snake (This one is unlikely due to a squeamish mom)

I got rats a few months ago so I don't have much money. I would make a simple of a setup as possible and would probably use bins, paper substrate, homemade food/water dishes & hides etc.

2. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Leopard geckos will require at an absolute minimum an under tank heater, preferably with a heating lamp depending on what type of climate you're in which can be a tad on the expensive side.

They are also a very good starter reptile, as are crested geckos. Cresties generally don't require additional heat although I believe most use a heat/uv lamp.

Skinks I've heard are a more advanced animal to get but perhaps someone else can shed some light on that. :)

3. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

I live in a hot climate so I don't need that much extra heating except for the heating pad, which I would get if I got a leopard gecko.

The skinks aren't too difficult, they're kinda of like a beardie, only smaller. At least this type is.

4. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Fair enough. Well, I can attest that both leos and cresties make great pets.

5. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

I like Leopard Geckos and Russian Tortoises almost equally, but I think the tortoise would be too expensive so I'm taking it off my list. (And my mom thinks they're "dirty.")

6. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Remember that there's more cost to it then just getting a tank and an animal. You'll need a uvb and heat lamp for a majority of animals (leopard gecko would just need a uth). You need to have money set aside incase a bulb burns out or your animal gets sick and needs a vet visit.
    Skinks are definitely not like beardies and their personality isn't near as naturally calm and friendly. They take a lot of work to calm and tame down and they're less open to handling like a beardie.
    I'd suggest a leopard gecko to start. Theyre fun and easy and good with handling. They won't mow through 100s of bugs a week and don't require all the lighting.

7. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

Well I meant more care wise, since there omnivores, need desert conditions, and uv. But UV does put me off because that's about $50 dollars every six months. I'm probably going to go with the leopard gecko though. My mom actually wants one, that's saying something because she doesn't like animals.

8. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Let us know if you need any help with determining what you need for a setup. Leopard geckos seem to calm right down once they're a year or so old, too. So long as you're careful you can handle them.

9. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

I just looked at African Fat Tails. Now I'm considering one of those as well. Though i can't find a website with reasonable prices for them. They're all way up in the hundreds.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I wouldn't give up on crested geckos, they don't need special lighting, usually no extra heat, and can live and grow just fine on prepared diets. And most will calm down nicely with careful handling.

11. aeral

aeral Elite Member

What Darkbird said is very true.

Any reptile will take some patience to get them used to being handled. I just started handling mine a few months ago and she calms right down in my hands. My friend's crested geckos were the same.

12. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

Well, I'll think about them. They do seem to be fun little reptiles.

13. KittiesRus1

KittiesRus1 Member

I've researched some in Gargoyle geckos and I think I like them the most! The easy care of cresties but seem easier to handle.