This Disappears When Logged In

Which One Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by mld, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I was wondering which exo terra under the tank heat pad should I get for a Honduran Milk Snake?
    Should I get the Heat Wave Desert Heat pad or the Heat Wave Rainforest heat pad? Since they are a colubrid they don't require high temperatures, but either way I will be using a thermostat with the heat pad!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Does this mean you have the go ahead to get a snake?! Do we need to do the happy dance? Haha

I have no idea what the actual difference is in the pads. I'm guessing the desert wave runs a bit warmer? I would go with the higher powered one, since you're using a thermostat it won't overheat the tank. And in the event it gets really cold one night, the higher powered pad will be better equipped to keep your snake happy.

3. mld

Not yet, still trying to butter up the husband >:) But hopefully, I'll let you know when we can all do the happy dance!
    I think that me picking a bunch of cherries and making him a cherry crumble may help to butter him up! LOL Fingers crossed

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They still will require a basking spot around 90 degrees. Which is about the norm for most snakes.
    I use human type heating pads but of the two units you mentioned size per size the desert is twice the wattage of the rainforest. Since they are the same price and you will be using a stat. I would agree with Flint and go with the stronger model. You can always adjust the power down.

5. mld

Thanks Zach & Merlin!:)

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Good luck buttering up the husband! I sent you a PM the other day, did you get it? If not, let me know and I'll re-send it.

7. mld

Yes I did David, thanks I'll pm you right now! Well the buttering up didn't work:(
    but he did say that once the cat and dog go over the rainbow bridge, he will reconsider letting me have one.
    Looks like it won't be happening anytime soon so I guess we will just have to wait a few years!