This Disappears When Logged In

Which Lizard Should I Get??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lexie, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Lexie

Lexie Member

Hi! I'm new to the forum.I'm looking for a lizard to get. They can't be very expensive to keep. I want it to be friendly and would handle it everyday. I have some tanks, 10 gallon, a 20 gallon long, 40 gallon breeder. Or I could build a cage. The absolute biggest cage I could possibly have would be 6 feet long, 2-3 feet wide, and 2 feet high. I could use either a tank or cage. My top choices are leopard gecko, bearded dragon, blue tongued skink, Argentine black and white tegu, or savannah monitor.
    Idk how expensive the tegu and monitor are to feed so those ones are just possiblities. What are you're thoughts on the lizards mentioned? Any tips or anything?

2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Blue tongue skink or bearded dragon. Possibly look into uromastyx too.

3. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I'm unsure about tegus, but from what I understand monitors needs more room that you listed. And they eat a lot. Its possible that the smaller types might be okay with the size you have available (not the tanks, but a custom built set up). Bearded dragons can get pretty big too. I'm not really sure on the size requirements for them either.

That being said, leos might be your best shot. Have you looked into cresties at all? If I remember right they aren't even supposed to have lights, so that would removing needing those from the equation.

Personally, I like uros. However, like most herbivores they can not only like, but require varied plant matter in their diet. Also, from what I understand, a lot of them are kind of standoffish and not big fans of being held a lot. Plus with the high temp requirements (beardies need high temps too) they can't be out for extended times. We got REALLY lucky with Spike. He loves to cuddle. Granted, we don't keep him out for long, but he'll just hang out on your chest if you take him out for sun and lay down with him.

As far as cost of feeding, stick with smaller animals. I know house geckos are pretttttty small. I'm not sure on temp/humidity requirements with them. They're often used as feeders.

All in all, my vote for you would be some form of gecko, other than a Tokay. They have a tendency to be aggressive. I had one. I got him for free a lonnnng time ago because he had a kinked tail and an injured snout. This was before I knew anything about their rep. He latched onto my thumb one day during cleaning and tried to alligator roll with it. I've heard of SOME Tokays being friendly though.

I'm not really an expert on any of the species you've suggested. But I've given you the info I can remember from reading things on here. If I were you I'd look over the care sheets for the ones you're interested in. It might help you narrow down.

4. Lexie

Lexie Member

Ok I guess I won't get a tegu or monitor, since I read they are very expensive, and I don't have room for a bigger cage so I would hate to house it in something smaller than it needs.
    By the way, do blue tongues need uvb? I read they can be kept without it if given vitamin d3.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad you've taken the tegu and monitors off the list, as you've already figured out they are really not for beginners or those with limited space or funds. And I wouldn't pass on the UV lighting, a proper varied diet and proper lighting are much more healthy than the guesswork involved with using supplements. Now from what you've said so far, I would recommend either a crested or leopard gecko, or a bearded dragon. It will depend on how much work you want to do and how much you can spend. The geckos have far simpler setup requirements, the cresteds can even live and grow quite well entirely on a prepared diet. A bearded dragon will require much larger and more complex caging, some on the order of 4'×2'×2' with uv lighting in addition to their basking light, and they require a more complex diet of bugs and veggies. I would work on narrowing down your choices to maybe 2 or 3, then start doing reasearch to see which will be the best fit for what you want. Remember, you may have this animal for a long time.

6. LillithTheSpider

LillithTheSpider Active Member

Like a few of the other posters I don't recommend the Blue Tongue Skink or even the Bearded Dragon really. They require somewhat complicated diets of both veggies and insects. The Blue Tongue is a bit more complicated diet wise and they do need UVB. Leopard geckos are very easy to care for, don't require uvb, get to a decent size, are friendly, and are strict insectivores. They also come in so many different colors! The crested gecko is also great for a first time lizard. They have a easy, already prepared diet, don't require uvb or even additional heating (depending where you live, room temperature is usually enough), and they also come in many stunning colors! Good luck with your first lizard =)