This Disappears When Logged In

Which Hygrometer Do You Like?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Gewanchuk, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a new hygrometer and was wondering what you all have and like or don't like. The ones I currently have are the round dome type ones with the needle pointing to whatever humidity it is reading. One of these recently fell in the water and is now garbage. I doubt it was very good to begin with anyways.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Right you are. Those things are garbage to begin with. When I started breeding Uros I was using them in the incubator. Uro eggs require very high humidity. For the life of me I battled trying to get the humidity up high enough and could never accomplish it. Finally I put in a different gauge and it read 10% more than those crappy dome ones.
    I've never found a small one that I liked. I currently use a house hygrometer. I don't leave it in all the time because it is on the big side. But it is accurate.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My digital thermometers have a hygrometer built into them. I know Flukers also offers a small digital thermometer/hygrometer combo that I have used in the past and was satisfied with. In fact, here it is:

[Review] - Digital Thermometer / Hygrometer

It can be found at most local petstores and various online retailers.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have 4 flukers hydrometers, one in each tank, and love them. At one point, I had all 4 in different spots of my large 90 gallon viv. It was amazing to see how different temps and humidity can be throughout the tank. Once I saw that, I realized where I was keeping the hydrometer was the driest spot in the tank! I stopped worrying about humidity after that.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

And that's very important and often overlooked. That herps not only need to have a variance in temps but humidity as well.

6. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.