This Disappears When Logged In

Which Animals Are These Substrates Good For?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by MamaGwynn, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I was given a bag of two different types of substrates. One is T-Rex Jungle Bed- a mix of forest bed, coconut bark, calci-sand, and vermiculite. I use the coconut fiber that comes in bricks for my frog and toad, but I thought calci-sand and vermiculite were to be avoided for all animals. Is this correct, or would they be okay to use with my frogs? If not okay, what animals are they okay for?

I also have a bag of that reptile bark stuff in small pieces. Who is that safe to use with?

Just trying to figure out if I should keep this stuff laying around or just give it away.

2. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Calci sand should be avoided but vermiculite is good for like if something is laying eggs or you can put it in the incubator with the egg but its not really a good substrate for anything else. The reptile bark should probably be avoided to due to the fact that its still has the risk of ingestion and impaction

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm with avoidtheboyd, never used calci sand for anything. Risk of impaction and exposing animals to calcium like that 24/7 is very bad for their health. And I've also only heard of vermiculite for hatching eggs. Repti bark might be useful but not sure what for yet.

4. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I'm just gonna get rid of these then. Thanks for the help, guys!

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can get different colors, and arrange them in layers in a glass bottle. It makes a great paperweight. That's about all it's good for.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As I was reading the ingredients I got the mental image of them sweeping up the floor of their packaging area and putting all the leftovers from their other products in a bag and selling it as a new product!

7. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

I know!

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

If it looks nice you can always put it on top of the soil in a potted plant or something...

9. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Oh yea I bet I could use the reptibark for my orchids!