This Disappears When Logged In

Where To??

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Orchamo, May 14, 2016.

1. Orchamo

Orchamo Member

Hey everyone, i wanted to ask you a question. I live out of the us and in the future i plan on moving there. I just wanted to ask you, which do you think is the best state to keep reptiles outdoors? I want to kinda fulfil the dream of doing this. But other from the weather there are other things to consider for example reptile keeping laws and restrictions. I prefer a state that will be cofurtable for a reptile keeper. So what are your recommendations??
    Thanks alot! :)

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The only two states I've ever really looked into moving to were Texas and Florida, both of which have areas where reptiles could be maintained outside year round, depending on the species involved. Problem with Florida is that the laws are becoming almost draconian from what I have seen and heard, at least where keeping reptiles is concerned. Texas has some laws too, but I believe they are much more common sense type laws for the most part. But even once you've picked a state, the different localities can have their own laws, so it can be really complicated.

3. Orchamo

Orchamo Member

Thanks alot :) i knew the gographic location was between texas to florida, but i allso looked on alabama and luisiana.
    Can i ask why not to choose one of those? I saw luisiana has alot of laws that will make reptile owning a bit annoying, but alabama? What other things did you consider?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Lol, for me it was just personal preference. I drive semis for a living, and I've been through all 48 states at one point or another. Nothing really wrong with either of those states as far as a place to live, but both may see winter weather which would necessitate having indoor caging available for part of the year at least, depending on the species involved. I live in Michigan, and while we have almost no laws at all in regards to keeping exotics, I can only maintian reptiles outside for a few months out of the year. Fun fact, we had lows last night nearly reaching the freezing mark in some areas. I couldn't put my tortoise out overnight last year until sometime in June, and she was in for the season by the end of September. I could extend that some with a heated hide, but haven't done it yet.

5. Orchamo

Orchamo Member

Thank you very much for the answer, im actually planning on moving to the us and opening some kind of reptile/animal buisness, pet shop, breeding facility, reptile sanctuary or somthing that has to do with keeping animals for a living. Its a dream of mine and i might as well try it in a place that whould fit exactly to my goals. In my country the market for it is way too small and i kinda wanna live anywhere but there(the population conflicts and war issues) and what is better than moving to a place i can buy a property and keep these aweasom creatures outdoors? So i do have a few years ahead but i need a plan sooner or later.. i will take your advice and check texas for an option. And tell me, in some more southern cities in alabama or another state, is it possible to keep reptilea outdoor? And how is the economi in these states? Crime rates? Is there something unusual i need to know ? :)

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If you stayed along the gulf coast you might be OK for most of the year, I know northern Alabama sees temps in the low 40s regularly at night during the cold season, I have a relative in that area. But I really don't know the weather patterns well, I'm in southern Michigan. We get real winter up here by comparison. Then too, I have internet friends in Canada, and what they get makes our winters look like a joke.
    Now just something for you to consider, there is a saying I hear every so often. The quickest way to make a small fortune in this business is to start with a large fortune and open a store, start a breeding business, etc. Works for almost any industry you care to mention, I think something like 90% of all businesses fail in the first year here. Now I don't want to discourage you from your dream, just trying to add a dose of reality. While our market may be larger, we also have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of breeders trying for a piece of that market. Not to say that it can't be done, I know guys who have. But I also have a good friend who just recently had to go back to a regular job because he couldn't make enough to pay the bills, and couldn't split his time to keep the hobby going.
    And sorry to kind of fade out on you, work has been a bit nuts, and I wanted to consider my response. Google will also likely be of help in your research, just search the map and pick a city in the areas your looking at, then do a search for average temp in (fill in city and state) and you should get something. Or some variation of that search anyway.

7. Orchamo

Orchamo Member

Thank you very much for such an extended respond. I really appreciate it.
    Im aware of the fact buisnesses based on animal are really hard to maintain and actually be able to live of of it. But this is why i wont for example will go on a reptile breeding right away, its a bit harder to have succes there. I will try to open some kind of a edjucational center, a pet shop, rescue center. and ill try to do everything in ways that will make the place uniq. I know every person who starts a buisness thinks of his own ways to make it great. But afterall, I am just starting my life and i know that it doesnt matter how, i will make reptile and animals keeping/breeding/rescuing... a big lart of my life. So to my mind before i base somwhere and somehow, i will try my best at making my dream come true. Worst case cenario, ill start from scratch at age 27(im in the armg till 21... this is how it works in israel :/ ), not too bad, and a great expiriance i think :) i will consider the things you said, and really thanks alot!