This Disappears When Logged In

Where to Order Some Frozen Mice?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by yzfracer347, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Any suggestions, I live in Florida and only have 2 snakes so I dont think I want 50 or anything and thats what I`ve run across online. Im making the switch to frozen mice due to your recommendations.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've ordered from both of those that Venus listed, and it worked really well. I also live in Florida. :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have been using Rodentpro myself for many years. However the problem with ordering in small quantities is the shipping charges will seriously escalate the price. You have to remember that there is ging to be minimum shipping charge on the box no matter how small the order and they are also oncluding a big chunk of dry ice to keep everything frozen.
    If there is someone around that could go in on an order with you it will help defray the shipping.
    Go to Rodentpro.com Frozen Feeder Rodents and you can estimate the cost of the order you wish to make without commiting to anything.

5. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

About how long does it take. I also know of a place called the gourmet rodent that sells frozen mice and is also a shelter for snakes so if i find them i would like to support that.

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i use RodentPro as well. i only have three snakes but i usually order anywhere from 25-50 mice and shipping combined it costs me only about 50 dollars. for them, it depends on the day you do the order. i usually like to order on wednesdays. unless there's a delay, i usually get them by thursday of the next week so its pretty quick in my opinion. you should be able to find out when you get the order if you search around the site. there's a section on their site that explains how they do orders and when you can expect to receive them depending on the day you order.

i like ordering in bulk like that because even though i only have a small amount of snakes, if stored properly, you can have the feeders for at least 6 months. i'll pay 50 to save myself driving time and gas for 6 months! :)

7. smallgrayfox

Exactly. Plus I found that it was a much cheaper cost per rat or mouse if I ordered in bulk (even with shipping) than if I bought them from a local supplier just a few at a time.

8. DarkMagician207

i agree. i added up the cost of the price of mice around here at pet stores and for what i would pay to go there, buy them and everything else it would cost me at least 60 dollars. and those places that sell frozen like to up the price on those so it would be even more to order frozen mice from a pet store.

i'll stick with online ordering. this is my fourth online order and i'm so pleased. i've only had one bad batch but that was my fault entirely.

9. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I don't know about RodentPro. I placed an order two weeks ago in anticipation of having the snake, assuming the food would get to me in a timely manner. I just called them because they haven't shipped anything yet - and not only did they kick me out of the system (I don't have a log in anymore) even though they had my order information right on hand, they didn't place my order at all, so I won't be getting anything for at least another two weeks - AND they will be charging me right away. (I work for a company that sells things through catalog and internet. They never charge the customer until their product actually ships out. I'm extremely disappointed that this company will charge you long before you can expect them to even ship anything out to you.)

I'm seriously doubting how reliable their company is, and I'm pretty upset about the whole thing. They offered me exactly nothing in return for a serious error on their part - which they could have easily done without costing them a cent. Again, I understand how this stuff works behind the scenes. Waiving things like shipping costs, or giving a person a nominal discount actually doesn't cost the company anything at all, and goes a long way towards at least making the customer feel like the company is making an effort. Even just telling a person that they're working hard to make sure they get you the product as soon as humanly possible can help. They couldn't even guarantee me the second shipping date, and basically told me that even though the error was completely on their part, they were going to put me in line behind all the other orders that had come in since then.

Now I'll probably have to go buy live animals for at least the next couple of weeks until I get my shipment (IF it comes on time). Any suggestions for non-squeamish pre-killing of the animal? (I'm really not sure I can break it's neck with a pencil.) Or how to make sure the rodent doesn't come with mites?

I doubt I'll use RodentPro again. Maybe I'll try the Big Cheese factory for my next batch. It's got to be better than that.

Edit: Sorry about the angry tone of this. I'm sure they're a fine company. But I just got off the phone with them and I was terribly dissatisfied with their "uh, sorry, too bad for you" attitude toward the whole thing. Too bad that was my first experience with them. If this had happened after a couple of flawless orders, I probably would not have been so upset.

10. smallgrayfox

Wow, that's awful. It had to be terribly frustrating for you. I didn't have a bad experience when I ordered from them, but I did find that the rodents that I ordered from them did not seem as nice and as clean as the ones I got from Big Cheese. So after that I stuck with Big Cheese...their rodents were always nice (in my experience).

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Typh I am very sorry that you had a bad experience and I am not sure what happened. I have been ordering from them for years and have never had any problems.
    I have found this to be true in all my orders and I received my box a couple of days after it was shipped. Yes they do charge your card as soon as the order starts process but since shipping has always been within the time frame alotted I didn't worry about it.

12. DarkMagician207

yea i always got my orders from them in the stated time, sometimes it was earlier than i was expecting, no complaining there! :)

that stinks about your experience though.

13. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Eh. Maybe I'm just overreacting. I'll probably try Big Cheese next, and if they work out, stick with them. My first impression with a company goes a long way towards my willingness to deal with them, though, and how they handle customer service is a big deal for me. I find it difficult to trust a company after a bad experience. But if everything from here on out turns out okay, I may order from them again. I probably just got them on a bad week. I seem to be ordering the most popular sized rodent they have (of course).

This thread came up at *just* the wrong moment after I got through that mess. :) Sorry. Now that I've cooled off a little, I'm okay with it. Just frustrated because I thought I had everything ready for the snake when it came to me, and I didn't. Maybe they'll have some feeders at the reptile show in Manassas this weekend. If I can get a few there on Saturday (which was when I was going to feed him anyway), it will basically be a non-issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.