This Disappears When Logged In

Where to Buy Sulcata From?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by masias6708, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masias6708

masias6708 New Member

I recently placed an order from a breeder in Florida for a baby sulcata and the price was $136 including shipping. Then after I sent the paypal, I got an email saying the price was now $150 NOT including shipping. I thought that was a little high considering that babies don't always survive. So I canceled my order.

Where did you guys buy or Sulcata's? and how much were they?

Thanks!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Adoptions are good, but sometimes hard to find. I'd go to an expo or herp show. I got Otto at a reputable pet shop about two hours from my house. He was well worth the travel and hundred dollars we spent on him.

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

petfinder.com is a good start for adopting. Being able to see and hold an animal before buying is always the best way to go. Find a local show so you have options.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Reptile expos are good places to find young ones at decent prices, but of course adopting is always an option as well :)

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I know there is a turtle/tortoise rescue over there on the westside somewhere, let me do some research and get back to you. I'm not sure what all they do, it may actually just be a group of turtle/tort enthusiasts. I'll look into it.

7. TerryAllanHall

TerryAllanHall New Member

Last several reptile shows/swap meets I've attended have had a lot of baby sulcatas, starting at $50.

Are you sure you want a tortoise that may well (someday) get up to 150-200# and will make several poops every day that'll rival that of a horse? You'll eventually need a large yard (minimum of 60' X 80') just for your pet to live in and where will you keep him/her during the cold part of the year? Give this some thought, if you haven't yet...Sulcatas are not the easiest torts to share your life with! Not trying to tell ya what to keep as a pet, you understand...I, too, was tempted by a cute little walnut-sized baby sulcatta, that grew to 68# before I found her a more suitable home...now, I stick w/ European tortoises.

DSC01191-347x265.jpg

(Compare size of tortoises to size of garden bench!)

Pen_3.062-364x262.jpg

A good website to check out: tortugavilla.com/CareSheets.html

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.