This Disappears When Logged In

Where to Buy Sphagnam Moss Cheap?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Darkbird, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Title pretty much says it. Need some sphagnum moss for making moist hides and such, and I simply can't afford to buy the pet store stuff. Tiny bags, high prices, only stuff available near me is dyed, and I want to be comfortable throwing it out when needed. I have checked the local home improvement gardening sections, and can't find it. not sure if it goes under a different name or what. even checked a hydroponics store, but no luck. I know I saw someone on here post that they got a large amount for something like $6 a bag, but of course now I can't find the thread. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Just found something today that was labled sphagnum peat moss, doesn't look like what I have been using though.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sphagnum peat is not the same thing. It is Sphagnum that was starting to decompose naturally into peat. It's more like dirt than moss.

I ended up paying the $4 for a little bag at the pet store because I had to have it for my Venus Fly Traps.

If it helps, you may be able to harvest it in nearby areas (which is exactly what most suppliers do, in ways that are seldom ecologically friendly.) and dry it out to minimize the chance of contaminants. Sphagnum is actually several species, native pretty much worldwide.

3. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

i was just at home depot last night and they actually had fairly large bags of it for around 5 bucks.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I too have seen it in home depot. They may just not have it at your location. You can check online and they can ship it to your local store for you to pick up for free.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I am still used to shopping in FL where you can get gardening supplies year round. Shame on me for that mistake! I'll stock up in the summer next time, when it is all getting cheap. Apparently, stores in Michigan don't think we want to buy gardening supplies in November!

Turns out, I didn't need the moss as much as I thought I did anyways.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Thanks all, that helps. I didn't think the peat version was right. I located a bag that had a hole(there's almost always at least one, lol) and pulled the tape off to check what was in it and knew it didn't look right. Will be checking home depot today, I usually avoid it as I can usually get what I need cheaper at Lowes or Mernards. Plus, my mom work at Lowes and Mernards is less then 2mi from my house.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And Jen, do you attend any of the shows in Mi? Been to the Taylor and Kalamazoo shows and would love the chance to meet someone relatively local to me who shares my interest in reptiles.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I will be attending the Taylor show next weekend on Saturday. Hoping to pick up some inverts there :)