This Disappears When Logged In

Where to buy oothicas

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by brooklyn4824, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooklyn4824

brooklyn4824 Member

Hi everyone, I live in Chicago and I was wondering where I can buy some oothicas? I would like to keep mantis' but I do not know where to by them. Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

What species are you interested in keeping? I might know a few places you can get them. Garden supply stores are also a good place to get oothecas from chinese mantids, which are sold as a natural pest control.

3. brooklyn4824

brooklyn4824 Member

Thanks...I'll have to look around. I really dont care what type of species they are. I think they are all equally beautiful. I like the chinese heads though...lol. I had another question, do they bite? and if they do is it bad?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have seen oothicas for sale in garden centers that deal with organic type gardening. I am not sure of the species. As for biting. I have handled the regular old "backyard mantis" numerous times and have never been bitten.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

They usually won't bite. However, if you grab onto one, rather than scoop it up, they may attack. Those arm spines HURT! One particular male stabbed into me with both his arms, and then tried to bite me. Angry little bugger he was. If you don't actually grab onto the mantid though, they won't attack you. With any luck, I'll have oothecas for sale soon. One of my female chinese mantids is fat enough to mate to one of my males and hopefully I can get her to do so without eating him.

6. Ian

Ian Site Donator

Actually, it is suprising how many private breeders there are in the US that supply oothecae. One of the guys I sell a lot of mine to is Deshawn George, www.mantiskingdom.com He is pretty good, however, a little pricey...
    Also Alex Pan, www.phasmidsincyberspace.com (Canada Based) and there are a few others...can't remeber off hand though. I also send oothecae to the US, if you are interested!

Very few mantids will bite through a form of defence. A lot with just show threat colouration, by raisng their wings, or even rattling their wingcase. Speices such as the Pseudocreobotra and the Taumantis are naturally ferocious species, so will not hesitate biting!
    However, even if you do get bit, you can eaily remove their raptorial forearms from your finger. The only species I would be slightly freaked if it bit me, was the Idolomantis Diabolica These are MEATY beasts, and will not think once about an attack ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.