This Disappears When Logged In

Where to Buy Frozen Feeder Mice in Southern Virginia?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by LeoLover593, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LeoLover593

LeoLover593 New Member

I am getting a new kenyan sand boa from BHB Reptiles on tuesday and was wondering if there is any company that ships feeder mice that are reasonably priced or a store (besides petsmart or petco) that I could buy from. Every online source I come across the shipping is $40 alone >< Please help this is my very first snake and I really don't want to kill him by buying mice from a bad supplier! I live in the southern end of Isle of Wight County (near Franklin) if that helps.

2. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

If you're lucky enough to have reptile shows anywhere near you, that is your best bet. I just picked up 25 Jumbo mice for $26 and 100 hoppers for $60. If you can't get to a show, you could buy a few from your local pet store in the meantime until you find a supplier. To be honest, even with shipping, if you buy 100 at a time and can spare the cash, even with shipping it isn't much more than what I paid at the show. Still worth it compared to the big brand stores. I got raped for 2 small rats a couple of weeks ago. To make it worse, it was my ball's first rat. He struck it and released then retreated. I left it in his cage overnite hoping he would eat it. Nope, smelly thing went in the garbage next day. $4.50 down the tubes! He loves the Jumbo mice that I only paid $1 each and they aren't much smaller than that rat.

If you need a referral, I can PM you one or two that were referred by some others. I haven't used them personally. They usually show right up in a search. Good luck.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

If you're lucky enough to have reptile shows anywhere near you, that is your best bet. I just picked up 25 Jumbo mice for $26 and 100 hoppers for $60. If you can't get to a show, you could buy a few from your local pet store in the meantime until you find a supplier. To be honest, even with shipping, if you buy 100 at a time and can spare the cash, even with shipping it isn't much more than what I paid at the show. Still worth it compared to the big brand stores. I got raped for 2 small rats a couple of weeks ago. To make it worse, it was my ball's first rat. He struck it and released then retreated. I left it in his cage overnite hoping he would eat it. Nope, smelly thing went in the garbage next day. $4.50 down the tubes! He loves the Jumbo mice that I only paid $1 each and they aren't much smaller than that rat.

If you need a referral, I can PM you one or two that were referred by some others. I haven't used them personally. They usually show right up in a search. Good luck.

Dave

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Yeah shipping is tough when you only have one or two snakes to feed.

Ill second the show recommendation. Its where I get my feeders. Honestly the cost is about identical to if I went with shipping from one of the major suppliers, but I have a relationship with that rat breeder, his quality is top notch and I've seen his facility so I know his animals are well cared for.

Id check your local area craigslist. Its pretty common to find other snake owners in the area who breed their own snake food and sell the surplus locally for a little extra cash. You may even get lucky like me and discover a nice bigger operation that way