This Disappears When Logged In

Where Should I Put My Lights?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by JoshtimusPrime, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JoshtimusPrime

JoshtimusPrime Active Member

Hey, i will be moving into my new house this weekend and i wanted to get everything planned out for Grimlocks new enclosure. I was planning on 10 feet long, by 5 and a half feet wide, but i was wondering how high i should make it. Right now he is only about 2.5 feet long. He just hatched on July 12th of 2010, but he is growing really fast! I know that nile monitors are semi aquatic so i was going to make 4 feet of the cage a pool for him. He loves the water. My lighting question is where should i put the bulbs? Should i make a wooden top and cut holes, then cover them with a wire mesh? I just dont want it to hurt his nose or burn him, or even make his toes fall off if hes hanging on it. IF i make the cage too tall then he wont be able to get high enough for the heat. If i put the light too close or put a log leading up to it, then im worried the he is going to burn himself. So how tall should it be? I just want to get everything together beforehand, so i dont waste any money doing this. Thanks

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Typically monitor keepers use a set (2 or 3) of lower wattage bulbs that can supply a wide enough basking area for nose to vent and have them set very close to the monitor. Usually 45-60 watt floods with out the domes attached that way they can graze the bulb accidentally but not stay against it and get burned. I'm sure you know the 130-140 surface temps.
    Got to go to work, hope this helps!