This Disappears When Logged In

Where do mites come from?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by okreptilerescue, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

there is a similar post to this over on that "other" website and of course- nobody there has any real advice- which is why i'm HERE!!

went out today to water my big girls and there are mites.... lovely...

i've been told-
    from the bedding- Newspaper?
    from the food- f/t only!
    from the new cage furniture- nope- not new
    from a new snake.... the new snake came in last nite and is in the house for quarantine, and to be shown off... so thats not the source...

I treated the area and the 2 snakes affected but those stupid things are so annoying...

we've lived in this house since june/july--- no mites here until now.
    old house- had mites come in on someone about 4 months before we moved- the mites were gone about 4 days after i saw them first...

HELP! Its hard to prevent them without knowing thier source...

Beth

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem being is that they could have come in from anywhere. Something coming in from a petshop that had them there.Someone simply walking thru that had one hitch hiking on them. It only takes one to get the whole nightmare started.
    And they are a pain!
    Best thing I can recommend is Reptile Relief by Natural Chemistry.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have seen "wild" mites. lol They were running rampant on a concrete wall. There were thousands of the little freaks.

I don't know if they were the same type I would encounter with the iguanas when I was rescuing, but they certainly appeared to be one and the same.

As Merlin mentioned, they can come from anywhere. It doesn't necassarily need to be from a petstore.

The fact is, they likely came off of you or someone else that was in that room that was carrying a hitch hiker.

4. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

*sigh* ..... i hate mites...

I did use the reptile relief- i use it when i clean my cages- i spray them out with dish soap/water and then reptile relief.

hope they're gone soon they're so annoying...

Beth

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Imagine what the snake feels like!

6. Matt_2008

Matt_2008 Elite Member

Alot of times they come from the aspen or other beddings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.