This Disappears When Logged In

Where Do I Feed My Snake?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by IvanT, Dec 22, 2011.

1. IvanT

IvanT Member

Ok, so im getting a Jungle Carpet, and also doinga lot of research. One thing that gets me confused is feading. Do i feed in the cage or out? I read a lot that if i feed in the cage, the snake might confuse my hand in the cage for food, if i do cleaning or try to handle, and to avoide that i need to feed in the separate container. But at the same time i read that you should not handle the snake after feeding. If i feed out of cage, i have to put it back in after...
    Can anybody give me advice on that...
    THANK YOU

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I feed in the cage and have never had troubles with the snake confusing me for food. Our hand doesn't smell like rat unless you have a pet one and you didn't wash your hands, in which case the snake will confuse you for dinner whether you feed in the cage or not. I have a picky eater who gets too scared and will refuse food if he is moved before feeding. My boa would probably eat wherever the heck she was. If you are nervous about that, you can even try hook training your snake. Anytime you are not bringing food, gently tap the snake on the head with a snake hook, that way the snake will realize "Oh, no food this time" and will stop the feeding response. Unless of course you smell like rat, lol!

If you do choose to feed outside of the cage, the short bit of handling transferring the snake is nothing. The regurgitation happens with stress. If you were to try to play with your snake for an hour right after it ate..that's when the problems start.

3. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

This confused me too. Mainly people don't feed in cage because of substrate impaction.

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Although there are ways to avoid that as well. When we used substrate other than paper towels we simply put down a "plate" (either an actual paper plate, a piece of cardboard, something) down on top of the substrate right before feeding time. Snake feeds on the plate and no substrate can be ingested.

But it's all up to the individual owner. Some people like to take them out, others don't!

5. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

OK the whole "don't feed in the cage because the snake may bite you" is based on one thing.
    People who don't otherwise interact with the snake. The only time the cage is opened is to feed it. This sets up a Pavlov's dog type of reaction. If the cage is opening, it must be food coming in. I have fed both in and outside of the enclosure and never had a problem. Even with an aggressive feeder like my boas.
    And if you feed outside the cage,.... the quick "pick it up and put it back in the cage" isn't going to make it regurgitate.
    Now if you pick it up and pass it around to all your friends you probably will not like what happens!

7. IvanT

IvanT Member

Thanks a lot guys for making it clear

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You're welcome!;)