This Disappears When Logged In

Where did the bones go?!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Queen 'O Green, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

The pet store here just got a new snake... However nobody there seems to know exactly what it is. Gah. We finally decided on an albino Burmese, but I've never seen one with that much red in his markings. Does that happen?

None of us have any experience with this type of snake, so we are a bit dazed and confused. My biggest concern is that he seems sort of... well, flat and fleshy. When you pick him up he is very active, but he flattens himself out a LOT and gets sort of lumpy looking, plus his skin feels sort of weird, softer than any snake I have ever handled, and it's like he's got too much of it.. You can literally pinch the flesh and pull it up and there is plenty to spare. This could all be normal, I really have no idea, but I thought I would ask.

I tried to get some pictures, but the lighting in there was really bad and I couldn't use the flash, so things are kinda blurry. I hope it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It totally looks like she is squishing him, but she's just barely holding him at all. I couldn't tell you what the temps or humidity is (they don't use indicators) but I do know they feed him one hopper a week and he has a mite problem.

Any ideas?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

He could be dehydrated.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I second what Sav said...but i'm no snake expert...

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

As I read the first post, my first reaction was also dehydration. I would suggest setting him up in his enclosure, giving him a water dish he is capable of soaking in, and feeding him a rat in a few days.

Between the water and the rat, you should see a difference quickly.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My first thought is, the pet store got an albino burmese without knowing what it was?
    HUH?
    The red is normal coloration and will fade as the snake ages. Many babies have a great deal of red to them.
    While snakes do have a great deal of elasticity to their bodies I too suspect dehydration and a lack of proper feeding. Burmese are a pretty "chunky" snake and should feel pretty solid.

6. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Thats what i was thinking hopefully it was given to them as a rehomeing.If they brought the snake and didn´t know what they was buying thats even worse.Put it in a tank with a big water dish and hides and leave it for a few days in the back if possible,Then feed it a small-med rat every week.

7. Queen 'O Green

Hmmm... he's got a large water dish, but I never see him in it. Should we try soaking him for a bit? I believe he also has a hide... but he is right out in the front window so I'm not sure how much privacy he can get.

Also... he does get fed every week. Are you guys saying they should up the size of the mouse?

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Just put him by the water so he knows its there, I wouldnt force a soaking,,,let him relax a bit. When hes ready to get in the water he will :)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm confused! You said the store "just got it in" and then you say that the snake gets fed every week.
    A hopper a week for a snake that size is a snack! Its a wonder it doesn't strike anything warm entering the tank including hands! Its one step off of STARVING!
    That snake needs at least adult mice or even rat pups or possibly small rats Its hard to tell by the picture.

10. Queen 'O Green

Ok... "just got it" might be a bit of a stretch. They have had it for about two weeks now. I haven't been around much this last week, so for me it is pretty new.

They do tend to feed small there, which ticks me off. I'm not all that familiar with the various sizes, so I didn't realize it was that small. :eek: I'll talk with the snake person there about it today. I am trying to get them to "train me" in for free so that I can volunteer a few times a week and the poor things can get some handling. I'm still pretty inexperienced, but I have learned a lot and would love the opportunity. We'll try to get this poor thing healthy again.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck with him...I hope you and the other employees of your store know what their in for size wise with this snake...

12. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

wow...only saw this thread now! they didn't know it was a burmese....huh!

It is def getting under fed....looks skinny. And them traning you....lol....i am sure you could teach them a bit! Send em here to HC.... they will soon be forced into proper husbandry practices by the rest of us...haha

If they don't know it is a burmese maybe tell em it is a taipan....if one of em gets tagged they will think they gonna die.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.