This Disappears When Logged In

Where are my legs?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by petitrenardgris, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Believe it or not! It's not a snake!...Maybe some members have already heard of it!... ;)
    It's some kind of lizard we can meet here in North Europe :eek:

[​IMG]

It's the only European lizard without legs (!!!),with small eyes and a mobile eyelid; the thympanum, contrary to many lizards is dissimulated under the scales
    [​IMG]
    ORVET...SLOW WORM

Long and smooth, it's also called (if you translate it in French!) "Snake of Glass" 'cos of its tail which can break very easily :(
    This capacity to separate from a part of its body is called "autotomy"; to flee the enemy!

The tail which will push back will be darker and more rigid...It will be detached with less facility
    These slow worms are protected by our French law, and also profit from an European protection.OOf!

They are very inoffensive (I love their soft skin) and, too many people kill them :mad: while thinking of finding a snake (horror!); but even it were really a snake, one can't understand this behavior that leads people to kill what they don't know....

*Sorry if there are some mistakes...I've been still trying to improve in English for ages! Lol!

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing. They are a wonderful creature.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Cool pics,thanks for sharing.

5. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Great pictures, Valérie! :) I love glass lizards, and recently one was for sale in a pet shop here...Last time I saw him I thought he seemed really sad because all he wanted was to get out of his tank...he kept rubbing and rubbing on the glass. I really wanted to buy him because he was one of the coolest looking animals I've ever seen, but I'm already at the limit of animals my husband will allow... :eek:

6. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

What an interesting find! Thanks for sharing and welcome to HC!! It's nice to see another member from Europe! There are sure not very many on here! How far away are you from the swiss border (Basel) if I may ask?By the way,your English is fantastic;much better than mine;I found some words in your thread I don't even know !

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

neat pic. thanks for sharing. :)

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Glass lizards are amazing. You're lucky you can find them right in your area :)

9. Thanks a lot Jacky!

Very nice to say my English is fantastic....hOOOOOOOOO! Now, I'm enough far from Switzerland! I live at 'bout 100 km=62.15 miles in the North of Paris.Ribécourt is a very little town situated in Picardy, my native region but...I know Basel!...When living in Germany during 5 years,in Müllheim/Baden !!! :D
    Happy to make you discover some new words! :p

10. Hehehe!

poor little one! He's still waiting for you! You're right they have good looking and after a while they're very quiet and nice when they're enough reassured! :) But here you musn't keep them with you 'cos of the protection;They could be rare if we don't care for them :(
    Do you want one of our French castles to find place for all your animals?
    No limit dear husband! :p

11. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

12. Anguis Fragilis

"Anguis Fragilis" (Latin name)
    To go on with slow worms (glass lizards in the States).I found something for you I had to translate 'cos of an original French version
    [​IMG]
    1/Scale:Those of the snake are rough (on the right).The scales of the slow worm are smooth.
    2/Tongue:The snakes have a long Y-shaped tongue.The slow worm has a notched tongue.
    3/Eye:The eyes of the snakes do not have an eyelid that cannot close itself (on the right).the slow worms have eyelids and can blink eyes.
    In response to rbl, thanks for this link and there's just a little difference between both lizards (quite the same family).I think they might be bigger in the States!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. smallgrayfox

Here's a link to site that talks about where the various species are found...apparently there are 80 different species in the Americas and two species in Europe - the Slow Worm (Anguis fragilis) and the European Legless Lizard (Ophisaurus apodus), which is also called the European Glass Lizard) :

http://kaweahoaks.com/html/lizard_legless.htm

Actually, the largest species of glass lizard is the European one, averaging 2 - 3 feet (.6 - .9 meters), with the largest recorded one being 4 feet (1.2 meters). The one I saw at the pet store was a European glass lizard (Ophisaurus apodus), not one of the species found here in the states, so it was pretty big. :)

This article says they can live up to 54 years in captivity! Wow!

14. smallgrayfox

Great links! I love the picture with the babies too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.