This Disappears When Logged In

When will it eat?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Lyn'sSteve, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Okay ... I have a concern. We have a California King snake that we have had since Jan. 05. We picked it up at a show from a dealer who took it in trade from a valued customer. We were told that it would eat frozen/thawed which it has on a couple occassions. It has shed twice sice we bought it.

We have tried twice over the last month and it is not the bit interested. It has not eaten since it's second shed. It just "sniffs" around and goes about its daily routine. Any suggestions?

Steven

2. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Any guesses on age of the animal, or what its length is. Cali. kings in general usually aren't very picky when it comes to meal time. Just wondering what prey items you have been offering to it so far, and has it all been f/t prey, I would hope that it is warm upon feeding it, some snakes can be picky, some will take it warm or cold and don't care. I usually feed hot anyways, usually get better responses from everyone that way anyways. If that fails with the f/t try some live, or even pre-killed prey.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree! Monty won't go near any food unless I heat it up to at least 107 F. Get a temp gun and warm the prey up with a blow-dryer and try again.

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I am having the same problem with my king, he is active and has shed a few times just not eating, and I think BrianS had the same problem with his kingsnake too, mine has eaten about 3 times in 5 months, It gets quite frustrating.

Is your king losing weight? mine hasn't yet, i'm hoping he will start to eat again now, he shed yesterday and had a bowel movement, which I thought odd as he hasnt ate for a while.

If he hasnt lost any weight from when you got him I wouldnt start to worry yet, try warming up the mouse, although it didnt make a difference to my king, he snubs it no matter what, all you can do is keep offering for the time being, I wouldn't try live if he's been eating f/t. just give him a little more time.

I have a difficult rat snake that will not eat unless he is in the smallest rubbermaid and the rubbermaid all wrapped up and dark, and left alone, if I put him in a bigger one, he just wants to escape all the time and ignores the mouse, I have others that wont feed with the lid on, I have different snakes with different eating habbits, try to find one your king is comfy with, I am going to try the small tub with my king.

If your king has ate on a couple of occasions he will be ok, snakes can go a long time without eating, mine has gone since November on just 3 or 4 mice.

keep us posted :)

5. lucylou432

lucylou432 Member

My milk is the same, but as long as they aren't losing weight it shouldn't be too much of a worry. I think its the time of year when they are searching for a mate or a good spot to lay eggs.
    You could try leaving the prey in the snakes hide overnight -the privacy seems to help, and they are often used to finding prey in dark tunnels in the wild.
    HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.