This Disappears When Logged In

When the lights go out...

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

...little tiny GTPs go wandering. :D
    All day long, Aeryn and Crichton stay curled up on their branches and never seem to move. But in the evenings when the lights go out... they REALLY start moving!
    These pics might give you an idea of how active a 30cm 12g baby GTP can be if given enough room to wander at night. (No wonder she doesn't move all day!)

First, she climbs down from her perch to the big water bowl and teeters along its edge and down to the ground. Then she wanders over to the thermostat cable...
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Up the cable and STRETCH
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Through the plants and back to her favorite spot on the perch
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. BlackJack

Then curls back up for a while:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

But at night there's just too much to explore! and off she goes again!!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

(At the same time, Crichton is getting his exercise next door too.) :)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

What can I say Andrea..They are B-E-A-Utiful........Thanks for teasing, I mean sharing.

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh wow! Those pictures are FANTASTIC! *sniffle and look around to make sure hubby isn't here somewhere watching*

I want I want I want.... :D

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Awesome shots!! :D

6. BlackJack

Thank you, Ladies! :D
    These little ones are so fun to watch, even when they're just curled up on their branches. But we're still constantly surprised at everything they get up to at night!

It's feeding night, so we'll see if they're hungry or not. (I'll try to feed without the "Indian Trick", but I've got plenty of down-feathers on hand if I need them! :p

More pics soon!!!!!!! :D

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

What's the "Indian Trick"? :confused:

8. BlackJack

Baby GTPs are usually good eaters, but sometimes they might refuse to eat. Crichton and Aeryn were both fed alternately live and F/K food, so they didn't seem too eager for their F/T pinkies.
    The "Indian Trick" worked like a charm.: You get a soft down-feather and stuff the end in the pinkie mouse's mouth so that it looks like it has an Indian head-dress. Then warm it up and offer it to the snake.
    When they felt the feathers on their tongues, they snapped the pinkies right up and ate them!
    So as soon as ChondroDoc gets home, we'll see how these two eat... it's a quarter to 10 pm and they're already cruising!
    Here are some Indian pics: (The photos came out really well and shows the idea, but in the end this feather was a little too big -- Crichton was excited by it and wanted to take it, but just got a mouthful of feather and no mouse. As soon as I changed it to a smaller feather, he took the pinkie immediately. All we really need is the fuzzy stuff at the base of the feather.)
    Aeryn was a star and ate 2 (smaller) pinkies without feathers!!!! :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They look awesome Andrea !!!!

10. BlackJack

Good eater!

And here is Aeryn eating her second mouse since we got her last week. :D (She ate another, slightly smaller, one after this one too!) And WITHOUT the need for an "Indian trick"! :)

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Great pics,beautieful snakes and soo cute!!

12. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Very nice Andrea,

Thats a neat trick using the feather!

Steve

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

that is a neat trick. never heard of it before. :)

14. BlackJack

We read about it in a book about Chondropythons, but I imagine it might work for other species of arboreal snakes as well. Maybe even ground-dwelling species. ???
    I haven't tried it on any other snakes, but it seems to help. It worked for both are snakes. Now, Aeryn doesn't seem to need any more help "converting" from live to F/T pinkies, but Crichton still needs some "encouraging"! :p
    We're so happy that both are feeding so well for us already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.