This Disappears When Logged In

When is it time?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Mark, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

As some of you know my iguana has not been doing well for the last few weeks now.

He has been massively dehydrated, fighting an infection which we can't seem to kick, not been eating or able to eat for 3 or 4 weeks now (and has not been passing as there is noting to be passed), and he is way down in weight (just over half of what he used to weigh in at). His eyes are also red / blood shot and starting to look puffy.

He has a small interest in food but is unable to pull the food into his mouth and down his throat. Once the food is in his mouth he moves his mouth, more or less chewing the food, then just lets the food fall from his mouth.

To top this off I have a vet who is not versed in iguanas nor can I find a rec. for one who is in this area. My vet is the one listed on herp vet lists for this town but I differ on the opinions of those who have worked with her and posted.

The blood panel came back with an astronomical AST (SGOT) (1410) value and AZUROPHIL (6).

The first time I went in there the vet put him on 5 mg Baytril per kg of iguana daily for 10 days. I went in there about two weeks later asking for a second round of stronger ABx and she put him on 10 mg per kg for 10 days, we are now on day 5.

When is it time to humanely end this and euth?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I hate to have to address this but you just need to assess Bob's quality of life. This is the critera that we hand out at work:
    http://vetmedicine.about.com/c/ht/00/08/How_Know_Time_Euthanize0966283392.htm

It can be applied to most if not all species.
    It is never an easy decision, but if you can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and he is only slipping farther and farther away it may be time.
    "Playing god" and deciding when it is time is never easy for most people, and you know everyone here at HC will support you when you make your final decision.
    Best of luck.

3. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

That's very sad to hear and i am very sorry, the article moshpit got for you is a really good one! Good luck!

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very sorry to hear about that Mark. I don't envy you at all in your difficult decision. :(

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I agree with Lacey....assess Bob's quality of life...to me it sounds like he doesnt really have any....best wishes Mark....its not a decision I like to make either.....

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Oh Mark, I am so sorry. I would hate to have to make that decision. I know its going to be extremely hard on you and you have your HC family as support if you need us.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mark, nobody knows Bob the way you do. You have to decide if keeping him going is in his best interest or are you keeping him going for sentimental reasons. Its very very easy to blur the two distinctions. I have faith that you will make the right choice. It won't be an easy choice.
    It isn't one I would like to have to make. But we are all here for you.

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

That's a hard decision to have to make. I think you'd have to weigh how much effort it takes him to do simple day-to-day things, like eat or poop. If he seems to be in pain all the time, and he most likely won't live too much longer anyway, it's just more humane to keep him from suffering.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. I wish you guys all the best.

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Sadly, Bob passed away on Saturday.

Mark gave him the best life possible right up to the end.

Bob will be missed. Hopefully Mark will continue to share his knowledge with others and remain active on our forum.

We are all sending you thoughts and prayers Mark.

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Mark. You're one of those herpers who really truely gives his pets the best care possible.

11. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

So sad mark, best wishes, and soo sorry about bob! I'm sure you did everything you could as far as it goes for Bob, and he's probably thanking you in herp heaven right now for such a great life!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.