This Disappears When Logged In

When Can I Un-divide My Tank?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Herefishyfishy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. I have a baby brooks kingsnake (my first!), still only a few weeks old. Due to good fortune, I was able to find a 20 gal long tank on craigslist for $15 and snatched it up to save on the cost of scaling up tanks. Right now I have the tank divided with a home-made divider made out of a screen-window frame and canvas, as I was told the large tank (30"L x 12"W) would be overwhelming for him to adjust to and find his food in (he occupies just over a third of it now).
    So my question comes it two parts:
    1) When should I give him more room? I am vaguely guessing as soon as his length exceeds the division.
    2) Should I scale up his division, or once he has a good handle on finding and eating his food can I just give him free range?

Any other advice, tips, tricks you all have for a new snake owner are also welcome.
    P.S. ain't he cute?

Jor.gif

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I would do it now, there are no such things as 20 gallon tanks in the wild. Just offer plenty of cover (leaf litter would help alot.)

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I'd give him the entire tank now :) Lots of hides and things to do and he'll be fine!

4. Fantastic, thanks! We're still in the newspaper phase to make sure he doesn't have parasites, but I'm thinking after his next feed/poop I'm going to transition to aspen or shredded newspaper.

Thanks for the reply! I have to say, I'm loving going down to Goodwill to pick out ceramics I can drill holes into to make fun hides for him. I saw a skull piggy bank the other day but figured it would be too cramped in the divided tank but maybe I'll go back to get it now!

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

At first I glanced at the picture and I thought " did that picture just move?" So I stared at it and SURE ENOUGH!! LOL. Is that an S4 that you have? My boyfriends' S4 makes gifs through the camera but my Note 2 sadly does not. It is a really neato feature

6. Haha, that is awesome that the S4 makes gifs. That is just a video from my cameraphone that I imported into photoshop. It's really simple to make gifs that way, and I mean REALLY simple because I'm a bit technologically challenged but I can do it!

7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Oooh niiice. Lucky that you have photoshop. I would kill for it.