This Disappears When Logged In

Wheat bran 100 percent safe

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by MoLdYpOtAtOe, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Is there any proof this is safe except that you have not had any problems wth it? I am thinking about using it to give my tank a nicer look than papertowels.

2. Julie&brad

Julie&brad Elite Member

We have used it before and the only problem we had with it was trying to find their poo was like a scavenger hunt. Its very loose and if your beardy kicks it up alot it will also get in their food bowl. They will also try to eat it at first but hey, its wheat bran, you can eat it!!!

3. MoLdYpOtAtOe

I understand that you have not had problems, but is there any proof. I mean sure we can eat t, but can they eat it all and be perfectly safe? We can eat a number of things they cannot eat. By the way, is wheat bran um boxed cereal?????

4. Julie&brad

Julie&brad Elite Member

I have been told that you can find it in the cereal isle but we bought ours from a feed store. Much cheaper anyway. We got like 10 pounds for like $4. I couldnt find it anywhere but at feed stores. I dont think there is any proof but that it is safe but have never heard any stories about it like i have sand. I have also heard it sticking to their vent after they go poo!

5. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

i dont know if it is safe for leos but i know that it IS on the black (dont use) list for bearded dragons....so...if thier stomach are anthing alike, then i would say it is not good...hopefully someone else can offer more help.

i keep my mealies and super on it, so get it at Kroger grocery store..it is in the "baking needs" isle.

6. Dadx2mj

Dadx2mj Member

That is news to me. I have been using it along with many others I know and most are very happy with wheat bran. Only problem with it is it has to be kept dry so no water dish or misting in the tank. Some complain that it sticks to their vent or that their poop is hard to find in it but I have had neither of those problems with it.

7. Julie&brad

Julie&brad Elite Member

Do you have a copy of this "black list" thats the first i heard of it not being good!

8. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Elite Member

Wet bran can cause fungal growth. It is easy for crix and other bugs to hide in. crix that eat the fungus can be fatal to your BD. the fungus itself can be harmful to the BD too. If you stay on top of it, you may have success as some have but there are much better choices.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is a problem with many of the plant based substrates. Corn cob grit, alfalfa pellets etc, will all quickly mold if damp.

10. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

11. MoLdYpOtAtOe

Whoever uses wheat bran, did you just get the idea in your head and try it? Or did some one tell you about it?

12. Bitten

Bitten Member

It says NOT to Feed it to your Dragon because it is nutritionally incomplete. It doesn't say it will harm your dragon if s/he ingest some of it.

I wouldn't feed a dragom iceberg lettuce, but if s/he eats it it won't make it sick.

Oh, BTW, it is RED on the list!! :D

13. beardiedragon

beardiedragon Elite Member

yes iceberg lettuce can make a BD sick. It can cause diarrea and that leads to dehydration.

14. Enigma

Enigma Member

Eeek!

BD's will always ingest their substrate if it is of the "particle" kind. There is no way around it. They lick their surroundings hundred times a day everyday... with each lick they take in a bit of the substrate. It is physically impossible for them not to. Any ingested particles build up inside their intestines into a "cement" like substance... this happens more with sand particles, but particles are particles are particles. Period. This build up will, over time, cause serious impaction. There is no way around that.

You all make good points, just because WE... HUMANS... can eat it and safely digest it.. doesn't mean Bearded Dragons... REPTILES, can. We can eat spinach and be VERY healthy... Spinach is toxic to Beardies, it robs their body of calcium thus leading to MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). The most fearded disease for Beardies (aside from yellow fungus).

Not only that, but high humidity/moisture levels DO and WILL grow molds and fungus'. Some believe that this is where "Yellow Fungus" came from. Either way... No mold growth or high humidity is EVER good for a Beardie. They need 35-40% humidity, no higher, no lower. Using a substrate that soaks it up and holds it like a sponge is just asking for a sick Beardie!!!

This is what I have always said to those who consider any type of particle substrate...:

If using it HAS a risk, but NOT using it has NO risk... why use it?

For the best substrates... try Duck Brand Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner, Paper Towels, or News Paper with safe Ink. ;)

15. Scaley Fetish

Scaley Fetish Elite Member

Being a huge fan of proper husbandry, which means copious research before taking on a new pet, I did find that that there is little wrong with using the wheat bran. What I didnt like was that it is extremely high in phosphorous. And of course the fungal possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.