This Disappears When Logged In

What's Your "dream Herp"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CTU2fan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

You know, that one reptile or amphibian that you'd love to work with but just don't have the time/space/money, or it's illegal, or extinct (because I know one of you is thinking "yea, I always wanted a T. rex")?

Mine is probably the perentie. Monitors have always been my favorites anyway, and the perentie videos I've seen, they carry themselves in a certain way, it just screams "top of the food chain". Fantastic animals.

2. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

A retic, Komodo Dragon , Burmball , Bateater, Burmese, Coral glow banana scaleless pied ball python and the list keeps going.. Caramel albino Cottonmouth , Gila monsters, etc

3. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

I've always loved perenties!! :) they were my dream monitor until I saw the lace monitor, omg those are incredible animals. Those a savannah and a black throat are my dream monitors, but the lace is at the top of my list. and even a sailfin dragon pair, or a group of ackie monitors... The list goes on. I LOVE lizards, especially the big ones. I've always liked false water cobras, carpet pythons, indigos, again the list goes on lol :)

4. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

The Rough Green Snake, not enough are CB so I'm against getting one at this period in time.

5. nessy

nessy Well-Known Member

Leachie gecko! They are so cool, and just look at those warm loving eyes!

Attached Files:

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, in terms of non-extinct herps, I want to get into monitors, and may yet in the future, space permitting.

But yeah, if extinct isn't ruled out, then I want a utahraptor.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Utahraptor, there you go. Or speaking of monitors, Megalania.

Forgot about indigos, awesome snakes.

Lacies are fantastic too.

O another one, sungazers. Saw one in a shop maybe 30 years ago, haven't seen one since. Amazing lizard.

8. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Yea indigos are awesome snakes, I don't see then all that much anymore tho, just a few at the last show I went to. I hadn't seen one in over 10 years before that.

Sungazers are awesome!!! So unique.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indigos are endangered, but still available. There is a whole circus of hoops you have to jump thru to keep one.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I think I'd be willing to jump into that pile of red tape for an indigo. Right now my dream is still to have a successful breeding group of green tree monitors, beyond that I have too many things I would love to keep but will never have the space for. At least not all at once. Barring winning a major lottery jackpot or something.

11. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, I mean I really love some of the bigger monitors but when you're talking about converting an extra bedroom into a monitor enclosure and even that's too small...how does a private keeper properly house say a croc monitor?

I do see indigos in the classifieds occasionally, I've never really looked into what's involved re: getting a permit. Oddly I don't see Texas indigos or cribos for sale anymore, they used to show up on lists a lot. Not as nice looking as our eastern indigos, though you'd think the behavior and personality would be similar.

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yea winning the lottery would be required to keep what I'd like to as well.
    Setting up a zoo-quality breeding facility for Perenties would be awesome. Or any of the declining Varanid species.
    Can't rule out having ALL of the Uromastyx as well. They are so awesome.
    I've always had dreams of a herp-barn instead of corners in my house where my wife permits it ;)

Lottery would also be required so I would have the time to give.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sadly, that's the problem, most aren't. Those that are seem to be in the hands of very dedicated individuals who don't have a ton of other animals, and have a lot of extra space. And time. I will have one of the truly large monitors at some point, but the whole space and time issue prevents that right now.
    Oh, and if the money factor was removed, my enclosures wouldn't be zoo grade, but quite a bit superior. At least in terms of most I have seen. For example, imagine being able to become a member of my "zoo" for free, and logging in from your cell phone to access the cage cams and watch your favorite herp anytime. Ahh, dreams, lol....

14. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That would be pretty awesome. I used to have a link to a live cam at an aquarium, wish I still had it, it was a South American/Amazon monster tank, tons of big cats like redtails, shovelnose etc. Arowanas, big pacu, cichlids etc...very cool.

It just takes so much room to set the big guys up and not have it look like "lizard in a box". Sometimes I wish I was a gecko guy rather than a monitor guy.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are live cams in Kruger Nat'l Park, S. Africa at some of the watering holes. I peek in periodically, but have yet to see a crocodile or any herp. Lots of zebra, cape buffalo, elephant, etc.

Yeah, moving a lot of my smaller snakes to racks made life easy, and everybody sheds and eats better now, cleaning is quicker and more thorough, but you really can't go wrong with a well-done display cage for a beautiful animal.

Now, how to build one for that raptor...

16. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, start by switching from feet to yards, and add some zeros, and then you'll have the dimensions at least, lol.

17. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Or maybe an island.

18. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

Has Jurassic Park taught you nothing?!?

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you living in South Africa now Jennifer (lucky you if you are)?!

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member