This Disappears When Logged In

What's Wrong?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by CourtneyAnn, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

So I went to work this morning, and when I got home, my brother said he "broke" my snake. I have the night shift, so I got home about 20 minutes ago. Anyway, I immediately went to go check on him/her (I don't know his/her gender). I have had him/her for about 3 weeks. when I saw him/her it looked like there was a "crick" in his/her body. I immediately took some cardboard and made a tube and "splinted" the "crick" because it didn't look good at all. The soonest I can get him to the vet is later today, which is my plan, but is there anything I can do in the next several hours for him? The only exotics vet in my area opens at noon. Here are some pictures. snake1.jpg snake2.jpg

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The vet will be the best thing you can do to ensure nothing is actually wrong or that whatever is wrong gets corrected. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

The vet is definitely my plan, I just called and left a message letting them know I'm bringing him/her in at noon. He/she is about the width of a pinkie finger, I'm very worried his/her back may be broken. I will get the whole story from my brother. He's 12 and doesn't usually mess with my animals, so I'm not quite sure why he had taken him/her out of his/her cage.

4. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

So the story I was able to get from my brother was that he was trying to rearrange the terrarium and he accidentally dropped the water bowl on him/her. He/she has movement above and below the "crick," and understandable seems scared and in pain. He/she is currently in his/her carrier to restrict movement for the time being. And I am locking my door from now on when I leave for work!

5. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Sorry to hear that hope all goes well

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I hope it's nothing serious!!! Your brother should pay for atleast 1/2 of the Vet bills!

7. PetMother

PetMother Elite Member

Keep us posted!! I hope the vet can mend your snake back to health. :(

8. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

When I took him in, the vet did x-rays and said that his spine was broken and he was bleeding internally. I decided it would be more humane to put him down than to make him suffer anymore. :(

9. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Oh, and my brother did chip in for the vet visit, not half, but he is only 12. And lesson learned, locked doors are my best friend!

10. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

So sorry for both you and your brother. This loss is a very traumatizing thing for both of you. And although you can never get your pet back, I hope you both are not dissuaded from herp care in the future. Expecially your brother, who, after this experience, just might turn out to be a great herp keeper, careful and respectful. (he obviously has an interest)

I'm glad you got to the vet right away. You are obviously a very respectful herp keeper yourself.

Accidents with our pets happen to most, if not, all of us at some time. I'm glad you had the courage to post. Hopefully, you helped someone who has also had an accident with a pet & was afraid to talk about it.

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

That is too bad! Sorry for your loss! I hope you brother learned his lesson as well.

Also I am glad you got him to the Vet asap, your well on your way to becoming a wonderful Herper!!

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss! Your poor brother must be devestated! (Not that you aren't)
    Also in addition to locked doors look into cages that lock as well. Not only will it keep people out but it will also help keep snakes from escaping.

13. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Ooh, that made me cringe. I am so sorry. Shame on your brother for getting into what he wasn't supposed to, but good on him for at least telling you and not trying to hide it! Kudos to you for taking your snake to the vet and making that tough decision. It's an unfortunate learning experience for both of you, and I am terribly sorry for your loss :(