This Disappears When Logged In

What's Wrong With My Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by ChineseWaterDragonFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ChineseWaterDragonFan

ChineseWaterDragonFan Active Member

My new Water Dragon, Liz, is acting listless and she has brown scales instead of green and her "waste" is runny and she doesn't eat that i can see. When i first got he she ate from my tweezers before i put in the meal-worm, but now, nothing. Please tell me whats wrong!

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you provide a run down of her set up? Temps, humidity, substrate, enclosure size, diet...

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give some details of how you`re keeping the dragon; type and size of enclosure, heating and lighting, temps (both ambient and surface), and what kind of thermometer/hygrometer you use to measure them (analogue or digital), and do you have a few photos? Thanks!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Showing off your typing speed I see... ;)

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would also be taking a fecal sample to the vet ASAP.

Most new water dragon acquisitions are WC, and carry heavy parasite loads. The symptoms you've described are consistent with a parasite infection.

While they can also be indicative of improper husbandry, I always recommend a fecal sample for new dragon owners due to the prevalence of parasites in this species.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You know it ;)

7. ChineseWaterDragonFan

OK, soooooo She has a TALL 20 gallon tank and the humidity for the most part stays at 75/80%. the temp is always around 80 in the basking and 75 in the cool, i have astroturf(pretty sure thats what its called) and when i first got her she loved mealworms but now she wont eat anything.

8. ChineseWaterDragonFan

oh yeah and she is 9 inches if that helps you.

9. chawk

chawk Banned User

9 inches include tail i assume and how long have you had her

10. ChineseWaterDragonFan

11. chawk

chawk Banned User

well my suggestion would be a vet visit and up the basking temp. mine likes the basking spot about 86-88 not eating is normal for these guys since they are FINKY eaters try some crickets. also do you have a water bowl big enough for your dragon to fit in they love water pics of the little guy may help the more experinced people on here

also everyone will ask what you are using to check temps with the round analog dial ones suck need a digital and a heat gun to check the basking temp rock or spot

12. ChineseWaterDragonFan

i try feeding her crickets, but she doesnt go after them. she even lets them crawl over somethimes! and the water bowl is deep enough and the temperature does increase except when i mist it

13. chawk

chawk Banned User

since you have only had her 2 weeks a suggest a vet visit. she is prolly stressed and not use to things yet dont know if that will cause the runny stool.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you still haven`t said how you measure the temps and humidity, if digitally, the basking surface is too low as already mentioned, if analogue they can be as much as 15%+ out so you/we have no idea what they really are.
    The animal will also be stressed if you`ve only had it 2 weeks, so apart from the temps etc, there may be nothing much wrong.
    Can you put a few photos up of the lizard and enclosure?

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

More than likely she is impacted. With a diet of mealworms she really needs a higher surface temp on her basking spot i have mine at 90-95 and Tai seems to prefer the 94F ledge. Also your cage is too small. A baby water dragon shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 55gal tank. They will grow fast and love the extra room to run swim and climb. These are very active lizards and need all the space you can give them.

16. ChineseWaterDragonFan

I just took her to the vet, and it is because she was sold at to early of an age so she is just weaker, but im going to try hard to revive her.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think you need to see another vet, these are more than likely wild caught, if the animal was too young it wouldn`t have survived the journey from the wild in the first place!?
    It seems you don`t want to give details on what type of thermometer you`re using, or show photos of the setup, so I`ll offer one final piece of advise; a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe is needed asap if you haven`t already got one, I believe you can get them for around $12 U.S. Until the conditions support the animal it`s health will suffer, possibly very seriously.

18. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

It's very difficult to accurately determine age in this species, especially since the majority are wild caught. My first water dragon rescue was apparently 6 months old when I got her. After seeing a very knowledgeable vet, the vet told me that my dragon has the body size and weight of a 2 month old - that improper husbandry and poor conditions from being at a pet store and in the care of a previous owner who didn't know how to care for it likely stressed her and stunted her growth. She was very weak - not due to her age, but due to being housed in improper conditions, and sick - she had stomatitis, RI, early MBD, and parasites. All of which likely bloomed out of control due to stress (as is usually the instigator).

The ironic part? The first herp vet I took her to (and refuse to go back to since) didn't find any of this in my dragon. It was only a week later when she became dangerously ill that I asked around and researched vets in my province, and found one who luckily actually specializes in water dragons.

If the vet never performed a fecal, then this vet is not experienced with this species (or any WC animal) and I agree on finding a new vet. Even hatchling reptiles are not "weaker" because of their age or size, they're just more susceptible to stress and infections from improper care, so it's imperative to house them properly from the get-go. The symptoms you've described are also not that of a "weaker" animal, they are symptoms of a sick and/or stressed animal.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I had seen a newly hatched CWD take on a large adult. Unlike puppies, kittens and other mammals newly hatched reptiles are strong and sound from the get go. They are able to take care of themselves as soon as they are out off the egg. If your vet is suggesting she is weak because of age get a new vet. The only thing I have seen drastically reduce a CWDs health is improper husbandry. 90% of health issues are due to husbandry issues in a CWD and most reptiles.
    If ou can provide us with complete and accurate info on your husbandry we can help solve the problems and get your dragon healthy.
    The info we need are the full complete answers to head questions:

Rich asks...
    When posting a question about your reptile please include the following:

· How long have you owned the animal?
    · What is the enclosure size?
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)?
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking)
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured?
    · What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured?
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal?
    · What exactly are you concerned about?
    · Please provide images of the animal as well as the enclosure if possible.

I am sorry if this comes off rude but it is hard to help others over the Internet if we don't get the right answers to the right questions.

20. ChineseWaterDragonFan

WOOOOO, you guys are loading on the info faster than i can soak it in, okay so i think she is getting better because after the visit she was already starting to run around