This Disappears When Logged In

What's Wrong with My Turtle??

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by ChadTheTurtle, Oct 21, 2014.

1. ChadTheTurtle

ChadTheTurtle New Member

I bought my first red eared slider about a month ago. Today, while changing his water, I noticed a faint pink shade around the bottom of his shell. Is this shell rot? If so, it doesn't seem to be very severe... yet.... what do I need to do to heal him and to prevent this from happening again in the future?

I've attached a picture of both the bottom and top of his shell. Does anyone see any potential problems with the top?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

I look forward to the replies, this is my first post but I've been browsing these forums anonymously for months. I'm excited to be a part of this community.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I'm not seeing anything that looks like it would be an issue. How are you housing it right now?

3. ChadTheTurtle

ChadTheTurtle New Member

So the pink areas on the bottom of the shell are normal? I don't think those where there when I bought him.

I have him in a 20 gallon long tank with about 10-12 gallons of water kept at 75-80F. His basking area is easily accessible and he spends several hours a day under the UVB light

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many reptiles develop a pink blush prior to shedding parts of their skin. Turtles shed, too, both the skin, and the shell plates (called "scutes") though it's harder to see, since they live in the water.

The top would not be as visible because of the pigmentation, but the bottom (plastron) lacks the pigmentation.

I would keep a close eye on it to be sure, but it may just be that your turtle is going to start a shed cycle soon. Once you are more familiar with it, you'll know for sure.

You may peek in on him one day, and see little fuzzy looking streamers of clearish white skin floating off of him. When the shell scutes fall off, they will be about the texture of a fingernail, and may get stuck in your filter intake.

Shell rot will show up as soft, spongy spots on the shell, and it may even crumble. If the shell still feels hard and normal, I wouldn't worry.

gayckojoy likes this.