This Disappears When Logged In

What's Wrong With My AFT Gecko?!

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by DragonMommy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. DragonMommy

DragonMommy Member

Hi! I'm concerned about my AFT Bailey. He is the most gentle, cuddly little guy...until recently. He has hissed and snapped a bit lately, which is very uncharacteristic. Also, he keeps making a little noise that I'm guessing is a sneeze. Then tonight he started doing this weird thing where he opens his mouth wide and swallows. He does it a few times then stops, then he does it again later. Is my baby sick?! His temps are 78 to 94, 91 on the warm spot. Viv is 18 x 18 x 12. Moist hide, warm hide & cool hide. Eats dubias. I've had him for 2 months.

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

It sounds a bit like it could be a respiratory infection. How are you measuring his temps?
    What is his humidity like, and how are you measuring that? How often do you mist him?

3. DragonMommy

DragonMommy Member

Thanks Cassi. I've got an Exo Terra digital probe thermometer on both the hot side and the cool side, and the one on the hot side also measures humidity. Just checked and it was 24%. I don't mist him, but I do moisten the moss in his moist hide daily. What is the treatment for a respiratory infection?

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

For respiratory infections, it's always a good idea to seek a herp vet for treatment. Antibiotics are usually prescribed.

For mild respiratory infections, they can sometimes be treated at home. Try increasing the enclosure temperatures to the maximum comfortable range day and night. Increased heat will help stimulate the immune system to fight the infection, and it's not necessary for your gecko to have a natural temperature drop at night while being treated.

AFTs require slightly higher humidity than Leopard Geckos, and the enclosure itself should be misted at least daily, along with misting the moist hide. His temps as you've had them don't sound bad, so my guess is that the lack of humidity is playing a role. I would try giving him a gecko "sauna". Place some paper towel in a tupperware container, soak it with lukewarm water, place your gecko in the container, and seal it for about 10 minutes or so. I have found that sometimes, when it comes to reptiles that require increased humidity, that a lack of humidity can mimic an RI and a sauna can correct the symptoms.

RIs can also be caused by stress and unclean conditions, so be sure you're spot cleaning daily, and I would avoid handling him unless absolutely necessary for now.