This Disappears When Logged In

whats the differance

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by SKULLMAN, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

whats the differance between old world and new world tarantulas.i was reading something about handeling T's,and it said a novice should not attempt to handle an old world spider because they have a bad attitude.what species of spiders are old world and what species are new world,i know the list is problay pretty long so a few examples would be great.i ordered the tarantula keeper's guide by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz and i know i would find the awnser in there but it won't be here until monday.

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Whenever something is old world, whether it be monkeys, tarantulas, etc, its referring to the eastern half of the globe. Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia are all Old World. New World species are found in North and South America.

Although most OW species of Ts are aggressive, the same can be said for some NW species. If you're looking for Ts that are non-aggressive, its best to do a species-by-species search instead. Also, one thing NW species are famous for are their urticating hairs.

Here are some NW species that are regarded as semi-aggressive or nervous.

Acanthoscurria geniculata (brazilian white knee)
    Nhandu carapoensis (brazilian red)
    Theraphosa blondi (goliath birdeater)
    Psalmopoeus cambridgei (trinidad chevron)

However, there are many NW species that make great beginner Ts. The gerera Aphonopelma, Avicularia, Brachypelma, and Grammostola contain some fairly docile Ts. I put an * next to the ones that, in my opinion, make the best beginner Ts. Just about any Brachypelma or Grammostola is a great begginner T. Very calm and docile.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum (mexican bloodleg)
    Aphonopelma seemani (zebra)
    Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe)
    Avicularia versicolor (antilles pinktoe)
    Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair)
    *Brachypelma smithi (mexican redknee)
    Eupalastrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty)
    *Grammostola pulchra (brazilian black)
    *Grammostola rosea (chilean rosehair)

There are very few docile Ts from the Old World. Some of the most aggresive ones come from Africa and Asia. These would include species like:

Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon)
    Cyriopagopus thorelli (malaysian earth tiger)
    Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue)
    Haplopelma minax (thailand black)
    Poecilotheria fasciata (sri lanken ornamental)

If one species, say Grammostola rosea, is NW, then all other Grammostolas are also NW. It won't have any OW relatives. The same is true for all other T genera. Its also a good idea to get a handle on tarantula genera and species, cause the common names are very seldom used by keepers and breeders, as they are unreliable.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Are there any particular species you were looking at? I currently only have a G. rosea (rosehair) and A. seemani (zebra), but I have a C. crawshayi (king baboon), A. geniculata (brazilian white knee), Aphonopelma moderatum (rio grande gold), and a second G. rosea on the way :D

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Well i won't give a lengthy response as Matt has beaten me to it - man you come up with such great answers! :p
    But on the subject of general T info, including info on OW and NW Ts, a guy has just written the magazine an article for the Sept issue (by the way guys, the mag is growing big in the US so look out for it - Reptile Care) - I can ask the author's permission to email you the article if you like Skullman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.