This Disappears When Logged In

Whats the Best Substrate for a Ball Python?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Geo7809, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Im currently using repti bark, is aspen better? What do you consider the best substrate for a ball python?

2. T-rex

T-rex Elite Member

I like to use paper towels or newspaper. I have never used Repti-bark.
    I think it is more expensive. I used papertowels for awhile, then I realized I could just pick up the old newspapers from work. I am looking at getting unprinted newspaper soon.

Aspen is good if you need to do more for humidity. The humidity in my enclosures gets too high if I use a wood substrate. You could also try cypress mulch.

I am not sure if there is a "best substrate." It is more of a personal preference IMO.

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Why is the repti bark not working for you?

4. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

It was ok but I was reading mixed reviews on it. I told my herp vet I was using it and she told me to stop using it due to possible slivers and the such. I went back to the repti carpet and its working just fine. When I was cleaning the bark out there was a big wet spot under her hide spot and some poop too. All in all I think the carpet might be better. I guess I'll find out soon.

5. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

What are slivers? Is she referring to feeding on it?
    Gary

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Like little pieces of the bark getting stuck under her scales or accidently getting ingested.