This Disappears When Logged In

What's Safer to Feed a Boa Mice or Rats?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Boa, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Boa

Boa Elite Member

I have around 200+ mice that I have been using as feed for my corns and pacman frog, and I just got a 6 month old boa and I have been feeding him fuzzy mice. So my question is will one adult mouse a week be fine when he gets bigger or will I have to switch to rats?

Thanks
    Chris

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

you will definitely need to switch to rats. My 71/2 foot female eats a varied diet of rats, guinea pigs, small rabbits, quail, chicks etc.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A Common boa will require rats or rabbits once older. Our female eats the biggest rats that can be had, and small rabbits on occasion.

If you have a different boa, the answer will likely be different.

my 35 inch Central American boa isn't getting any bigger. He eats rat pups (same size as large adult mouse). He is still technically a common boa though. Just a dwarf locality. Central american/nicaraguan boas tend to be a little smaller.

4. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

I would switch him over to rats asap. Though boas are not known for it, you don't want him becoming addicted to mice because it takes a lot of mice to feed an adult.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Also with the wording for your thread, I guess I should ask if you are feeding live or frozen (word 'safer' makes me wonder.)

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I don't see a problem giving your boa mice from time to time, but please do not feed live prey. They can seriously hurt your snake. As the boa grows he will need something larger, as has been advised already, like rats.

Large mice and small rats are not the same nutritionally. The rat has thicker bones, with far more calcium and other nutrients than mice.

I breed both rats and mice and now and then, the boa gets mice, but less and less often. Rats are it, for boas, and as has been suggested, small rabbits too or guinea pigs, but guinea pigs have too much fat.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless you are feeding huge numbers of fuzzies, you are likely underfeeding your boa.
    Not even close. That snake is going to get large fast and will soon be taking adult rats.