This Disappears When Logged In

What's on Your List This Herping Season?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Reptileherps, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Reptileherps

Reptileherps Well-Known Member

So like the title says, what herps do you guys hope to see this season?

I'm hoping to see/photograph a Canebrake Rattlesnake, Pygmy Rattlesnake, Eastern Hognose(which I think will be my toughest find), Mud Snake, Crayfish Snake, and Speckled King.

I have a couple spots that I'm going to check. One I know for a fact is full of Rattlesnakes so hopefully I'll see the ones I'm trying to find. I just need to get some thick boots before I go out there. The spot I went to the other day may prove to be a good spot to find the Crayfish and Mud Snake. I'll be going beck there later this week so hopefully I'll find some.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Gila monsters! Not very common, but definitely a sight to see if you live in the Sonoran desert. I have never managed to get a picture of one in the handful of times I have seen them. Maybe someday lol.

3. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

honestly anything that I find alive and healthy is a great sight to see. In my area we don't have a ton of reptiles (upstate NY)
    , mostly garters,milks, water snakes and amphibians. When I went hiking last week I came across many garter den sites,one in particular I sat for 15 minutes on a hillside and counted over 50 garters,of all sizes. Was amazing to just watch them go about their day, curious little creatures,many came right up to investigate me :)

4. Reptileherps

I love garter snakes. And I completely agree they are very curious creatures. The ones I used to have we're always interested in what I was doing

5. I dont really see anything in Buffalo N.Y.,So really anything would be awesome.Last reptile I saw was a wild little gecko,It ran off before I could get a picture,though.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Anything and everything.

7. Reptileherps

Jeez I don't even think about geckos being big finds or anything. Every night when we turn the porch light on they come out to eat the bugs. By my house there are tons of geckos, lizards, and skinks.

8. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Prairie ringneck is the big one on my list this year.

9. Reptileherps

Yea I like Ringnecks. I don't see them too often though

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Massassaugas. I live around the corner from a state park that has a substantial population of them (largest in the state.)

11. Reptileherps

Well if the weather is good I'll be going back to that spot tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some cool stuff

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

There's no telling really. I'm just keeping my mind open and hoping for some really cool stuff.

13. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Hoping for a brilliant blue male blue belly to get some pics of durring breeding season... just around the corner.

14. northcountry

northcountry Elite Member

Not really to much to see up here in minnesota besides garder snakes

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Off the top of my head...

H. suspectum (Gila Monster) (Hopefull this month!!!) :)
    Any crotalids but specifically molossus, viridis, lepidus spp. and atrox (Black-tail, prairie, rock, and western diamondback, respectively)
    Coleonyx variegatus (Western banded gecko)
    Hyla eximia (Mountain Tree Frog)
    Scaphiopus couchii (Couch's spadefoot toad)
    Spea bombifrons and multiplicata (Plain's spadefoot and New Mexico spadefoot toads, respectively)
    Terrapene ornata ornata and luteola (Western and Desert Box Turtles, repsectively)
    Any Sceloporus but especially jarrovi (Yarrow's Spiny Lizard)
    Sistrurus catenatus (Massasauga)

However, I still like to see any and all herps.

16. Reptileherps

I went to day and saw a bunch of Water Snakes. Not something I was dying to see but I still enjoyed seeing them. I'll post pics later