This Disappears When Logged In

Whats Happening to My Amazon Tree Boa? Shedding? Sick?

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by Newton, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Newton

Newton Member

Hello everyone!

I'm have been concerned about my ATB.

About a MONTH ago he started to go dull on his sides, the milky grey colors.
    I thought he was going into shed so I have been waiting to see what happens.
    3 Days ago his eyes finally started to get blurry and dull aswell, and yesterday became normal again.

His sides however, still look milky, and have only appeared to go back to their normal color a bit.
    His face has started to look dried out a bit too.

I have had him since July, and when I got him he was having a horrible shed, with skin coming off for days.

He is a good eater usually, but last week would not take his hopper. (leading me to think he was ready to shed)

Is this normal?
    Does he look ready to shed?
    Does he look sick?

He hiss's at me when I wake him up, but other then that I have not been struck at a single time since the day I bought him.
    Someone told me that this is a bad sign, and that they are snakes that SHOULD be on guard and striking.

Thanks!
    58037509.png
    80815044.png
    38890608.png
    99782532.png
    97425491.png
    80472787.png

2. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

He looks ready to shed what you need to do is make sure there is a rough object for him to rub against, turn up his humidity,and wait. also if he offs feed before you see him shed dont worry it is completely normal. Hope he has a good shed=)

oh, and the hissing is because he cannot see nearly as well as he normaly could due to having an extra eyecap.

also the face looking dry you should definitely let him soak or get a water mist onto him.

3. Newton

Newton Member

I'll keep on waiting I guess!
    All has been provided, still no shed. I guess I shall keep on waiting ! Hope hes ok.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What is your humidity level and how are you measuring it?

He does look dull/ready to shed, proper humidity is really important.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Michele beat me to it. What's your current humidity and how are you measuring?

6. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

actualy i was first here i just didnt ask what humidity was =p i figured just mist abit.

7. JoeyG

I did noticed you had said to turn the humidity up, I just wanted to know where it was at to see if that was maybe the problem :) Something so simple solves a lot of problems often.

8. Newton

Newton Member

I let him soak for 25 mins!

He was able to shed everything off with a little bit of help from me and looks great!

His humidity levels are in the 80's.

Thanks very much guys! Walt the Tree Boa looks like he would say thanks too!

9. JoeyG

The wonders of a warm bath :) How about some pics of the fresh little face, we love photos here :)

10. king1239

king1239 Elite Member

You are very welcome im happy for your tree boa =)

11. Newton

Newton Member

Will post pictures tomorrow when i have him out.

12. Newton

Newton Member

Hello :)
    60688735.jpg
    46165017.jpg
    18780879.jpg
    69824414.jpg
    45647143.jpg
    fce402261f8e11e2b288220.jpg

Hes seems to be getting more white with every shed :p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He's handsome! Glad to hear he finally shed :)

14. JoeyG

He looks good! How old is he? They're awesome little guys, thanks for sharing the photos.

15. Newton

Newton Member

Hes about 7 Months old now :) He was my first snake, And I have never regretted getting him.