This Disappears When Logged In

What Would You Do with This?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by lillahine, Jun 11, 2014.

1. lillahine

lillahine Active Member

We found this old junky thing and want to use it to make something for my cwd. I'm not very handy or creative but have an idea of what I want to do but don't even know where to start. My husband won't help he said its my mess lol. One of the things I was planning on was cutting a hole in the middle wall so it's all open than adding sliding glass in the front and wood in the back. Also need to figure a way for the lights to be on the inside.
    Any help would be appreciated where do I start?

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You would need to install a false ceiling to hide the lights in.
    Install a solid back, substrate dam at the bottom for the door slides to be installed on.

Good idea to cut a lot of that middle piece out and leave enough for support. Once you do that you will need to run some solid wood strips on the cut edge in order to seal those areas well.

3. lillahine

lillahine Active Member

Thanks for the idea of the wood strips I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the raw edges. Need to go google false ceiling now. Oh I am also trying to find a way to replace some of the wood for lighter wood this thing is heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the idea of the wood strips I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the raw edges. Need to go google false ceiling now. Oh I am also trying to find a way to replace some of the wood for lighter wood this thing is heavy.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

False ceiling you basically put your lights underneath the top shelf and build one below it with screen incorporated into a frame.
    Keeps the reptiles from accessing the lights yet lets the light through.
    Then you want a flip down or removable panel on the front to access them.
    I haven't found a good pic yet.