This Disappears When Logged In

What Would Be the Best Substrate for a Kenyan Sand Boa?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by skelly98, Aug 2, 2012.

1. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

need to know this.....

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i was told it was crushed walnut, is this right?

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

what about play sand or all purpose sand? and maybe mix it with soil

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Walnut can be abrasive and wear down scales, also it creates alot of fine dust. This dust can cause issues in respetory systems in some kenyans. Earth and sand mixture can be used for the most part but some similar issues can arise. I had very god luck with Care Fresh bedding (wood pulp/paper type bedding). Only draw back I could think of about the pulp type beddings was lack of resistance when moving through it, lack of exersize really, but my Kenyans loved the stuff.

5. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

I use a mix of dirt and sand (about 50/50) and my KSB is doing great with no issues so far.

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

awesome :) what kind of dirt do you use, jk? i was looking into it (dirt from outside), but there are garter snakes everywhere where i live, and i was worried about using that because of parasites.. what about untreated potting soil? like, with no fertilisers and stuff?

7. SSSnakes

SSSnakes New Member

Sorry to dip - but good that you are not using soil from outside - you never know what is in it (pestisides etc). If you want to do the soil/sand mixture - I would suggest you use ecodirt (which is actually ground coconut). It is clean - only problem is you have to hydrate it first - they you would have to let it completly dry out before using it for a KSB

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I believe that sandboamorphs (breeders) use sani-chips (aspen) You can go to their blog page and ask them!

Also, you are in Canada, you can contact Roy Stockwell he breeds them as well.