This Disappears When Logged In

What Would Be Best

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by missamoe, Mar 15, 2011.

1. missamoe

missamoe Well-Known Member

I am looking into making my beardie a new enclosure as you may or may not know, but im struggling with lighting and heating,

as it stands he has a basking bulb that emmits uvb and substrate heaters and such to keep his tank nice and toasty the way he likes it

but im thinking about switching to fluorescent uba/b lighting for basking but dont know how i should go about heating the tank and keeping the basking temp at a decent level... trying to do this as cheaply as possible also...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is the kind of bulb you are currently using? Brand wattage etc?.

3. missamoe

right now i believe it is zoo med and its like 150W

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok! Usually when people say they have a basking bulb its just a heat lamp!
    The fluorescent bulbs can be used but they will not heat the tank. It will also be necessary for the dragon to be within 8-10 inches of the tubes to be effective. And I am talking the long tubes, not the coils.

5. missamoe

Okay awesome cause i was also talking about the tubes XD

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So the light you are using now is a basking bulb and a UVB as well, so heat and UVB. Sounds like a mercury vapour bulb!

7. missamoe

if it is i got it for a steal lol

8. mld

9. missamoe

nope i have the second one, guess i need to get on getting him a new light asap

10. mld

Is the second type ( the power sun ) bad? how long have you had it?

11. missamoe

according to the site it doesnt give off uvb like i thought it did, and i've had it since like january i guess

correction i have the first one, i opened them in reverse order

12. mld

Ok, that makes more sense. Yeah, the 1st one only gives of heat and UVA, You need both. So what are you using for UVB right now?

13. missamoe

im not thats the thing the people at the store told me that was what i needed for the uvbness so i need to get him something else asap

14. mld

Is the basking light getting the basking spot hot enough for him during the day 100-110 degrees?

15. missamoe

yeah it sits around 105

16. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I'm getting so confused, yesterday you said basking temp was 100º:confused:
    It's really hard to help when you keep changing the information you give. Sorry to say this, but it almost sounds like you're telling us what you think we want to hear.:(

17. missamoe

*smacks her head in frustration* I'm sorry I made a typo yesterday it was late, and i was tired. Give me a freaking break.

18. mld

105 is perfect temp for basking. So now you just have to get the uvb light.

I'm using the Repti Sun 10.0 tube UVB it made by exo terra, Unfortunately where I live there is only one place that sell pet supplies and they only deal with exo-terra for their reptile lighting.
    So I'm not sure what the best brand is out there for the UVB tubes bulbs.
    Exo- terra makes one
    Zoo Med makes one
    Flukers makes one
    T-Rex makes one

If you got a Mercury vapour Bulb for now then you can use the same ceramic clamp lamp that you are using now with the basking bulb. Then when you build your new home for him you can purchase what ever type you want because the wattage will change with the size of the enclosure and if using the tubes you want them to run the full length of the enclosure.

I know a lot of members use the MegaRay UVB bulbs, here is the link, they have a distance requirement min. and max. distance depending on the wattage.

Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide

The coil type bulbs are not very good, and have a bad rap for hurting their eyes.

The only thing is I'm wondering are you going to need a different one once you build your new enclosure!

19. missamoe

Thanks so much! I definitely will be needing new lighting for my new enclosure and thats what i was asking about in here originally but it kinda got off topic

20. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

There's really no read to be rude, only trying to help the beardie.

Good luck to him. :)