This Disappears When Logged In

What/who keeps you from getting more reptile?

Discussion in 'General' started by T-rex, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-rex

T-rex Elite Member

Who/what keeps you from getting more reptile?

just wondering who/what keeps u from getting more herps?

2. T-rex

T-rex Elite Member

i was making a poll and my computer screwed up!!!!:mad:

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Time... the more snakes I have, the less time I have to enjoy each one individually. (I want quantity time AND quality time with my animals.)
    I've actually decided to give my male rainbow boa back to the breeder I bought him from because I don't want to be tempted to breed them again. I realized that 20+ babies would be quite an undertaking, and now that Talyn turned out NOT to be gravid, I have a second chance to re-think that.
    I'm just keeping Talyn and my BP, Monty. My husband has doubled his collection from two to four... but it's up to him to find the time.
    Money is the second biggest factor, then space....

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha...probably a combination of time and money. At this stage in my herping addiction i like to keep more out of the ordinary herps...so i don't really keep easy to obtain stuff(corns, kings, beardies etc...)

I try really hard not to get any of these because i know my collection would grow way to large for the amount of time and space i have. I also like to make my setups really amazing so i spend quite a bit on each individual reptile. I rather have quality than quantitiy... even though it can be hard at times...and most of the time i fail...lol

there is always that awesome deal that just pops up and you just have to take it.... haha i know some of you get that urge too

5. Cali

Cali Elite Member

Well unlike the previous comments, its my other half that prevents me from increasing my numbers! it was hard enough for me to get her to accept i was getting one small snake!!! let alone what i want! (RTB, royal python, beardie, leo etc etc etc :) )

I am currently and slowly progressing her towards a beardie! lol she will eventually crack and give in to me!!! lol she just doesn't really like reptiles in the slightest!!!

When we move into our new house im gonna have my own room where i can do and keep what i like so then will be when all the fun happens!! till then i must wait............. :(

6. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Mostly it's the thought of what will happen if I ever want to go on vacation...

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha cali....sooner or later she will give in...or we will force her!

just wait until a beardie or leo looks her in the eyes... then she will make u get it! or maybe not....haha... i still have to come across a girl here that really likes herps...hehe

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine is lack of space! I have enclosures in every available spot in my one bedroom apartment!!
    But we are in the process of getting a house where I will have more room!:)
    And fortunately my lady is a herp lover to!

9. grim

grim Elite Member

time, space, money, and the fact that my mother doesn't like my herps i guess.

10. venus

venus Founding Member

I have to go with the majority...Space, money and the landlords....

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Its not lack of space for me, its more the fact that I have pretty much no time with work anymore,specially sice my new monitor girlie requires so much attention she takes up all the time I normally spread out thru the day for the rest of my herps. Ive been so busy I didnt notice the Libimonster outgrew yet another waterbowl until I saw her all curled up inside,filling it completly and the rest of her body wrapped around the outside of it and she just sat there looking at me like "mommmyy!!comee on...look at this!" Tho I am still in search of that special suriname male, its gonna have to wait till my 10-12 hour workdays go back down to 8 hours!

12. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Time is a big one, and electrical outlets.

I have my circuits right on the verge of tripping the breaker for my room. I have to shut off the skink cage, my tv and my radio in order to vacuum...

13. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

For me its time, space, and money as well. I too am fortunate as Angie likes the reptiles (except my snakes). Once we grab a house i will have more space to create some predesigned enclosures. Once they are made, I can then occupy them as time and funding permits. :D

14. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Space, or lack of, is about my only restriction.

15. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

space and time for me but the wife has her eye on a veiled so we will see

16. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

Space. So much extra junk in my house.

17. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

sheesh...
    ~my parents (no more snakes till I move out)
    ~space (I have a BEDROOM.. and within this bedroom I have a 4ftx2ftx5.5ft enclsure for the beardies/WD and a 3 foot stand for the snake.
    I technically have ONE more place I could put a reptile on... I can move the snake to the bottom of the stand and put the 50 gallon on top.. hmmmm)
    ~money... I'm broke. I just bought a 1000 crickets and I go to school that I pay for.. and I have a car and insurance to think about.

18. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Time, money, space. Right now I have room for 2 more cresties, all of them female (maybe a male, who knows with this baby). I'm mustering up the room for another fire skink breeder but other than that I'm packed solid. The breeding should help cover the costs though!!

19. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hahaha...well I just purchased another herp, so their goes my whole "no time" speech...

20. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The biggest thing for me right now is just my situation. I'm moving from Maryland to North Dakota soon, and will have to bring all my pets with me somehow. Then shortly after that I'm moving from North Dakota to Washington. I'll cave when it comes to inverts, because they're too easy, but I've got to be careful when reptile temptation sets in ;) I used to be more into lizards and amphibians, but I've gradually been leaning more and more towards snakes and inverts, simply because of the maintinence differences. Snakes and inverts generally require a lot less time and money to keep than the former, and right now time and money are in a shortage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.