This Disappears When Logged In

What Wattage CHE And...

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Dragonflies, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

what size dome lamp.

My new 4'x2'x18" showcase cage should be arriving tomorrow. I've decided to go with a ceramic heat emitter and was wondering if anyone has an idea what power would be best.
    The room the enclosure will be in is fairly warm and the temp is pretty constant, I will be using a thermostat.
    I'm thinking 100W should be enough and 150W will be too much, am I correct?

The other part of the question is the dome lamp for the CHE. Should I get a 10" or 8.5"? Does a wider diameter spread the heat more and a smaller diameter less?

Thanks?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I don't live in a warm area so I couldn't say about the wattage. Plus I've never used a CHE.
    The dome lamp will concentrate the heat with a smaller diameter. Just like a spot lamp will compared to a flood bulb.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I believe that the 10" would be the best, but you can't just use any dome fixture! You will want to use a heavy duty one. Here is one that can be used with the ceramic heat emitter;
    Ultra Deluxe Brooder Clamp Lamps For Less

I use one for night time heat if it gets too cool. I have never used it to heat up an enclosure that size. But I'm sure that someone on the site has and will let you know!

4. smokeyy

smokeyy Banned User

why not just go big, get the 150, and throw it on a stat, it shouldnt get too hot considering that its on a thermostat... maybe?
    it also depends on what brand you get...

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I think 100 should be fine, but i would put it on a thermostat. Be sure you get the CORRECT wattage dome to hold a 100 CHE.

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Thanks for the replies.

Michele, thanks for the link.

Smokeyy, the thing that would bother me about getting the 150 watt is, it would keep turning off and affect the ambient temperature.

Thanks Liz, I think I will go with the 100 watt.

7. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I would try looking at lowes or homedepot. They have several different options available.

9. mld

You are going to want to have the uvb tube inside your enclosure! The easiest this for me because I was using different lengths is get a fluoresecent ballast with end caps. the ballast itself is on the outside and the cords and the end caps are on the inside and hang down as far as needed.

here is one like I got, mine is a little different but the same basic concept.
    Aquatic products

But you have yours already made, so like previously mentioned, you can go to the local building supply store in the lighting department and get one that can be mounted on the inside.

10. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

The strips go above the enclosure for the showcase cages Michele, they are built with a slot and grill to accommodate them. Thanks for the link, in the meantime I found just the thing in Pet Club (Like Petco but they are only in this area) at a good price.

11. mld

You got one of the showcase cages? Wow:x Pictures! hint hint

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Oh shut up. LOL

I'm working on it at the moment, I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.:) I've gone the cheap route to start with, clamp lamp and halogen flood (I couldn't wait for a CHE to come in the mail :)), so it may take some experimentation to get the temps right.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You can get a CHE and matching dome at any pet store....

14. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

SOME pet stores, and the prices I've seen locally, I'm not prepared to be ripped off.
    Any bulbs I buy will get reused in the house, so I'm not losing anything there.