This Disappears When Logged In

what was your first herp

Discussion in 'General' started by furryscaly, Jul 20, 2005.

?

What was your first herp?

1. Lizard

96 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Snake

75 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Turtle/Tortoise

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Crocodilian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Newt/Salamander

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Frog/Toad

30 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denma

Denma Active Member

my first was a black rat snake my dad caught for me when I was like 10. but now i have 2 beardies and want a corn snake but my mom wont agree.

2. KIM ARNOLD

KIM ARNOLD New Member

Mine was a western painted turtle. Its 8 years later and he is still fine but doesn't like any other turtles. Hes a very solitary creature. His name is Turtle. How exotic? Right?

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I once had a gerbil named Gerbil-Gerbil :p

Lizards made a comback! They're nearly tied with turtles!

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

LOL Matt,,,,but snakes still got the lead !!!!!

5. Dragonden

Dragonden Elite Member

I voted for turtles because they were the first herps that I actually bought.

But ... I can't even remember what was really my first herp ... When I was a kid we went up to our cottage every weekend and there were frogs, salamanders, newts, snakes and turtles all over the place. I was probably interested in them from the time I could walk. My parents wouldn't let me keep any pets- due to allergies and past experiences with my older brothers (they were bad!), but I was allowed to keep different species for the weekend, or sometimes bring them home for the week- only to let them go the next weekend. So ... I really can't remember what species I kept first. LOL But turtles always really facinated me as a kid and they were the first herps that I purchased as pets when I started living on my own. I started with two red- earred sliders, two painted, and one box turtle. The box turtle was my favorite.

6. Elan

Elan Elite Member

My first herps were 6 red eared sliders (my bro had snakes but i love turtles.) until my dad got a new medicine for his back that was easy for him to get salmonella and i had to give em away :( but i still visit em wen i go up to the farm. then i got 2 bearded dragons wich i am breeding right now.

7. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

The first herp I bought was a leo so i voted lizard, but I before I had a red eared slider
    caught from the pecos river that I refused to let my dad kill, kept him in a big wood barrel that had lots of water plants and some fish, I gave away to a person who ended up releasinng him in the roswell park pond where he resides to this day, he comes to the surface where people feed him popcorn and stuff

8. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

My first herp ever was a horned toad I caught while visiting my grandma in west Texas when I was a kid. My family would go down there nearly every summer after that and catch them...I loved the little guys. Years later I missed having them and bought a couple of anoles. One died of impaction and the other escaped. From there we went on to getting a veiled chameleon, it was stunted from a bad litter and that died as well. I was pretty discouraged at this point, but fell in love with a baby amel cornsnake, bought her, and the rest is history...a year later I'm now up to 30+ reptiles and amphibians...and counting....

9. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

A Snapping Turtle was mine believe it or not

10. tink

tink Elite Member

American Bullfrog.. from tadpole on.

11. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

My first reptile was a snapping turtle that my brother caught in the creek by our house where I grew up.

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

12. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

My niger orange uro is my first herp, have had her for 3 and a half months. My brother and I had turtles for a month or two when we were quite young [under 10], little tiny ones, they were called Mertle and Bertle, but my mum got rid of them when she found out that they could carry salmonella. I love my first herp experience!! Lizards are great. :D

13. allie&shadwell

allie&shadwell Elite Member

I had forgotten about my very first herp! "My first herp ever was a horned toad I caught" says actionplant - I remember the garter snakes I found in my backyard in Hamilton, Ontario when I was maybe 8, and put in a shoebox on the back patio. No food, no water, no breathing holes, I thought they'd be fine till morning. [No common sense, either.] My father had common sense and went right out and released them and then told me the next day how smart snakes were at escaping from boxes. I was a very gullible little girl! :D

14. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

My first herp was Godz the iguana (unless you count the frog my brother brough me home from a pond hen I was 5!!!) I can honestly say that I am now officially a reptiholic!!!!!

15. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Mine was a colored lizard about when I was 4!

16. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

When I was really young I used to catch a lot of tree frogs and garter snakes but I think the first one I ever purchased was when I was like 8 and it was a green anole, my dad said he had one as a kid that would sit on his finger and eat bugs when he pointed at them.

17. Tom H.

Tom H. Member

Mine was a chinese water dragon about 8 yrs ago . My ex wife accidently let him free in the yard one day and we never did find him . Now I have 2 anoles , A corn snake and another CWD

18. angel

angel Elite Member

Our first herp was and is our mali uro. I find thought, that I am completely addicted. I can't wait to get another uro and also a pair of beardies! (hint to sellers ;) )

19. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

I missed the beginning of this thread during a hospital stay. I do remember posting though to a similar thread. My first herps were red sided garters, caught in the Phila. Pa area in 1948.;) No Merlin.. No comment.:D

20. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

mine was a corn not sure of morph ame i think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.