This Disappears When Logged In

what was your first herp

Discussion in 'General' started by furryscaly, Jul 20, 2005.

?

What was your first herp?

1. Lizard

96 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Snake

75 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Turtle/Tortoise

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Crocodilian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Newt/Salamander

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Frog/Toad

30 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

My first herp was an Ornate Box Turtle that I found in an alley when I was 5... I don't remember which was my second..

Here he is, and one of his offspring.. -Good thing turtles are durable..
    [​IMG]
    Zane

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I suspect that there are two reasons for the popularity of turtles opposed to snakes.
    1. Hatchling turtles were everywhere! (at least for those of us who were youngsters pre-1974 and the turtle ban :rolleyes: )Any department store you went into had at least one tub with dozens of them piled on each other. Usually two tubs. One tub contained turtles au natural and the other had turtles with their shells painted in blazing colors as well as having little designs painted on them. Virtually every kid that walked by got a turtle since they were very cheap. 25-50 cents if I recall.
    The second reason is many parents, like MY mother, were NOT going to let a snake be anywhere around! They were all poison and would kill us!
    Turtles wandering in the back yard were fine.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

A normal Corn.....1969 ??? maybe 70

4. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

my bp
    got her in 2001 I believe

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I haven't voted yet. Not sure what to pick. As kids, my brothers and sisters and I caught salamanders and lizards all the time, but I don't think we ever kept them. I vaguely remember those little turtles too, but I think they were one of my brother's pets.
    Also we'd go down to the pond and scoop up tadpoles and keep them in a bucket in the backyard till they changed into frogs/toads and hopped off into my mother's garden.
    The first herp I wanted was a Western Garter Snake and I couldn't find any in a pet store (California) but then one crossed my path as I was walking home from school !! (I was 11). I caught him, named him "Perseus" and kept him for over 12 years... then gave him to my nephew when I moved to Europe. I think he kept him for another 7-8 years before the beauty passed on.
    So I guess I'll vote "snake".

6. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

Even though I am mainly a snake person now, my first pet of any kind was a huge three-legged bullfrog.

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

A three-legged bullfrog! That's an interesting pet! ...how big was it? Was it three-legged when you got it, or did that come about later?.... and welcome to HC, Allecto! :)

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

My first herp was a turtle complete with the plastic pond & palm tree. I was about 4 (1973-74); my mom used to get so mad at me cause I never wanted to leave him alone. I sure loved that turtle.

9. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

Never measured it, but from the time I was three to five, it covered my whole face (in fact, gross as it is, that was the only way to get me to fall asleep back then... plopping that grungy frog on my face). It was three-legged when I got it, but it was a fresh wound. And thanks for the welcome :D .

10. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

My first herp was a Ball python

11. big-n-hairy

big-n-hairy Member

my first was my ball python, thor. i hope to add more in future. next on my list is a mexican black.

12. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Thor is one of my favorite names :D Great name for a snake!

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I have a mouse named Thor :p Well, his full name is Thor God Of Thunder And Lightning, but just Thor for short :D I think big's Thor would kick my Thor's butt though.

14. Amber

Amber Elite Member

I got my corn snake first, for christmas 2002 :D

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Wow, turtles and torts had a good run, but then the snakes came back and smoked them :p

16. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

I demand a recount! :)

17. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

my first herp was a trio of green anoles that soon turned out to be 5 then 7 then 13 then 25 and well you get the picture but hey the pet store bought all my babies and that was back in 1976 then i started with fish and the same thing all over

18. My first herp was a common European turtle if I remember well...Hey, I was only 7 ! In the 70'...A long time ago!

19. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Our first herp was an African Fat Tail Gecko by the name of Jaxey. Our obsession has progressed to include thirteen geckos, a turtle, and a snake... they're addictive... ;)

20. heaven-sent herp

heaven-sent herp New Member

Mine was 2 fire belly toads, after they escaped I went on vacation and caught 2 horned toads. It was downhill from there so I let one free. Then, I begged my parents to get me an abused Leo from a closing pet store. Poorr guy, he's been doing well though! Then I got 2 Anoles for memorial day. Then we went on vaction and I caught my little eastern fence. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.