This Disappears When Logged In

What Type of Tortoise is This????

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by dragonkx, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

I found this tortoise i beleive crawling around my garden in the backyard. I live in california, It is about 2 to 3 inches give or take. THink its a baby. I dont know what to do with it, but first i wanted to find out more about it. It is currently still in the backyard for that past few days, Was thinking that in a week if its still there I might call the some department that can help me relocate it or something. Dont want to step on it by accident. Heres a few pictures, any quess on what it is??

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

Maybe but i dont live in the desert.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

where exactly are you in CA? There is a wide variety of climates.

5. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

its close to central california, around livingston, ca

6. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

Thinking of calling the animal shelter, or where else?

7. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

i thought and heard that desert tortoises live in southern california anyways.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

From what i can find, it does indeed look like a Desert Tortoise. Their range does extend into California (don't let the name fool you - they don't have to live in a desert.) If you are concerned, call your local fish and wildlife/DNR people. Since it is a protected species, they would be happy to identify it for you. They may or may not be able to relocate it. Moving tortoises spreads respiratory diseases to other populations, often resulting in large die-offs.

9. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

You wouldnt happen to have a number or web address would you? But its like a last resort thing, I dont plan to keep it, so in a week if its still here i'll give them a call and see what they say.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

just hit google with your county or zip code and "Fish and wildlife" or "DNR"

11. dragonkx

dragonkx Member

Thank you for your help, but the tortoise seem to of dissapeared from my backyard so im guessing it moved on, because there are cracks in my fence and behind it is an open field so probably moved on. HOpefully it doesnt come back, so no one accidently steps on it. thanks for your help