This Disappears When Logged In

What Type of Snake Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by puzzlebean, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

All corns are just gorgeous, the normal is just beautiful but there are so many that its hard to choose. Some of the morphs like the cream sickle is made by a combination of a rat snake and a corn snake.

Check out this corn snake morph; pied sided bloodred
    Pied Sided Bloodred Cornsnake - Ians Vivarium Cornsnakes

2. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Wow! That's a lot of babies! Puzzle was $125...I think a Corn is going to be a bit less of an impact on my wallet.

Any insight on my chances to find one at the NY Expo this weekend? haha

Woah. That is so cool!! Man, I can't wait to have one.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since I live a LOOOOOOOONG way from NY I have no knowledge of that particular show. However the shows I am familiar with generally always have some one with baby corns. And you can generally find them from about 10-15 dollars for a normal variety. Of course as you get into morphs the price goes up. But you can find amels and snows for about 15-20 dollars.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck - and I love your choice (I have both a BP and a corn snake). I just noticed this thread and wanted to add to the climbing part...

Athena, my 2-3yr old female albino corn snake, uses EVERY INCH of her 75 gal tank. (They do NOT need that big of a tank, I just got an amazing deal on it and that's what she was used to).

Anyway - in the area's that she doesn't have something to climb on, she just slithers up the glass. Yes, straight up - pokes around the top of the lid and moves down the line. She has a few things in her tank and she is always in, around and on them. I have a large piece of wood that I really need to set up for her as a perch that will run the length of the tank.

I guess all snakes are different, but my corn snake loves to climb and it's wonderful to watch her during the day slither all around the tank. And she really is easy to care for and feed.

P.S. Don't forget the pictures!! :)

5. mld

Not to mention corns tend to have an easier shed and having branches in there would definitely help with shedding.
    I'm very excited for you, can't wait for pictures!:x

6. Merlin

All Cornsnakes will climb. It just isn't a requirement for their housing the way it is with more arboreal species.
    It is not unusual to find them up in trees or in the rafters of barns in their natural habitat.

7. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Yesssss that is what I wanted to hear. Haha! And I def won't...pictures are one of our specialties...esp since the BF just got a new fancy expensive camera.

Oh, ok. Well I will have branches for it to climb on for sure. Now I am trying to make a list of all the stuff I need to buy...lol

8. Merlin

Just make sure that you have a VERY secure top! Baby corns are so thin that they are exceptionally good at finding their way out of enclosures.

9. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I keep hearing this. I think I am going to get a reptile cage from PetSmart that has a top built in...would that be good enough, do you think?

Puzzle's cage has these two clips on the sides, but you can easily move the top around...I think that type would not be secure enough for a snake. Lazy fat-tails aren't really escape artists. LOL

10. Merlin

Since I am not familiar with that particular cage, I would hesitate to advise you on it. You will just have to examine it very closely before putting the snake in.
    If there is a way out, the snake WILL find it.

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

If you are referring to the sliding screen tops, then yes, those can be very secure..Just keep in mind you can also get a very secure fit with a separate screen/aluminum top for most any aquarium type enclosure....

Petco just had there $1 per gallon sale and that is where I picked up a tank for my new Rosy Boa....Those tanks are just plain tanks, so you will still need to get a top, and if purchased new those are often as expensive as the tank itself..... Craiglists or other online sites are often a great place to look for tanks/enclosures..

Good luck in your search for the "perfect snake" for you......attending the expo/Reptile show will be a WONDERFUL start to your search....Hopefully there will be plenty of different morphs and ages for you to choose from.

12. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, all her climbing is done with the sole purpose of checking to see if I am slacking on the lid.... HA!

I built a custom lid for my glass aquarium made from some wood-like material -- It was more dense then wood and heavier (not sure what it was called). I attached it to the aquarium with hinges, cutting holes in the top (covered with heavy mesh) for the heat emitter and vents and added 2 flip-type hinge locks. Not that I think she could actually lift the lid -- but she is STRONG! Never underestimate them!!!

There are directions on here somewhere for a custom wood lid, I followed the guidelines from that and made the modifications needed to fit my needs.

It was SUPER easy, with hubby holding the wood so it didn't slip while I made the cuts -- we had the whole thing done in a few hours. It just took 48 hours for the epoxy to dry and I was sure the hinge was totally secure.

And I love the fact that I can tilt the lid up and place a support under it to hold it up -- kinda like a car hood. The lights stay secured in their cut-out sections. It makes it easier to get in and out of the tank.

13. mld

I think this is the one?

Custom Glass Tank Lid

14. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

That lid is neat! We are headed to PetSmart and PetCo today to check out the tank situation. We think we will probably go with the ten-gallon to start. It's cheaper (by a lot), I already have a uth that will fit it, and stands for them are much more affordable.

I had another thought, but I think it's a no-go. You guys can tell me what you think. At the Expo they probably have tanks/accessories/etc. Would it be possible to wait and get everything there? I know I could get it all a lot cheaper...but I also thought that it would be a better idea to get it all set up before we buy the snake. What's the best thing to do?

15. Merlin

I would definately have the tank up and running for a week or so before the snake comes in. That way everything is set up adjusted and running smoothly and the new guy won't have to suffer through any needed alterations.
    And considering the cheapness of a 10 gallon tank, you really wouldn't be saving much by waiting. And that would be assuming that there were even any tanks at the show. Most of the time the show vendors are more about animals than supplies.

16. mld

Is it possible to get the proper heat gradients that is needed with a 10 gallon tank? With having two hides, a water dish, decor for hiding spots.

17. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

I think so. We're going to make sure before we buy it, of course, but they are 20" long so it should work out.

18. Merlin

You can do it. Sometimes you may have to fiddle around a bit, but it can be done.

19. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I was able to provide the proprer temperature gradient in a 10g for our ball python. An it had two hides a water dish an a rubber branch in it with some leaves hanging on the back wall.

20. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Do you have any pictures? I would love to see it to get ideas. Thanks!